jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Be Prepared

1. profile image48
    shoemakejrposted 7 years ago

I just had a slice of humble pie and I can tell you, it leaves a bitter taste in your mouth.  No matter what style of writing you do or specialize in, every so often an opportunity comes by that will potentially open a door to things you may have never considered.

Recently, I was invited to come and be one of three writers being considered for a teaching position at a film school...a working film school.  I have written scripts in the past, have even written a play.  The problem was that it had been several years since I had done that. When I got to the school, the owner new immediately by my formatting that I was not a professional screen writer. In my defense, I told her this prior to my coming and she invited me anyway.

Morale of the story is simple, if you have a skill set that you only use rarely, use it a bit more often to sharpen it or don't accept offers to do something you are really not sure about.  Personally, I will be sharpening my skills in that field because a door has now been opened and I may get another shot.  Next time I will be better prepared.

Too often as writers, we just write and do little prep work.  I am for that to the point that writing is the prep work.  You wouldn't do a book review without first reading a book, right?  Writing in and of itself is preparation.  Never be afraid to put in a little extra work to make sure your project - whatever it may be - is the very best it can be.  Good writing, hope to see you at the publishers desk.

1. goldenpath profile image73
      goldenpathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great story!  Those kinds of things give the rest of us hope that there are legitimate people out there who are watching with interest.

Also, a monumentally important morale you have brought to light! smile

2. Cagsil profile image59
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Yes, hindsight is 20/20. lol

1. sofs profile image84
      sofsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Any lesson  learned  is worth its weight in gold, we just learn from the past mistakes and move on. I Like your spirit, keep sharpening the tools!
      Wish you the very best!

working