Online Writing Career

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (17 posts)
  1. lillm profile image61
    lillmposted 13 years ago

Hello!

I'm new to Hubpages and to writing online in general. I just started a blog and am considering writing for some other sites. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I learn new things everyday.

I have a few questions for those who write online as a full-time career or at least make a significant portion of their income from writing online: How many total hours do you spend each week on your writing, and what's the breakdown of hours you spend each week on blogs, writing sites, etc.? How many different writing sites do you write for?

Any information or advice would be appreciated by this newbie!

Thanks!

1. thisisoli profile image70
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's not really howmuch you put in per day, but how much you put in total. It takes quite a long time to get a passive income up to a level that will keep you fed.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said

2. lillm profile image61
        lillmposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your response! I'm beginning to understand that this is a long-term process. I'm ready for the challenge though! I love writing and learning, so hopefully it will pay off for me down the road.

1. thisisoli profile image70
          thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It should pay off, just do your research, find out how things work and you will be fine smile

2. David 470 profile image81

Its all about how much effort you put in the long haul. For example 20 hours a week writing may not sound like full time work, but considering EVERYTIME you write its new. Unlike getting paid for doing something over and over again.

I would say write 2 hubs daily (most of the time) and send backlinks, ping etc...

If I would put a an amount of time on it, I would say 14-30 hours a week, but some do more if they own websites and such.

1. lillm profile image61

You make good points. Also, although 20 hours may not seem like a full work week, that is 20 hours you are actually writing, so it is intense. I would say many people putting in "40 hours work weeks" at an office don't actually work for 40 hours with office distractions.

It's a struggle to write one hub per day with my time constraints, but I'm hoping to catch up on the weekends. Thanks for the information!

1. David 470 profile image81

Yeah, there's no ta set number, this is all up to you. I admit there are some days I don't feel well and don't write or something. Just don't overdue it or underdue it.

Write as much as you can adapt to easily.

It also depends on what type of stuff your writing on. In my opinion, sales hubs take longer to write about generally.

3. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Never give up...

1. lillm profile image61

Thanks for the encouragement!

2. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 13 years ago

Yes, but you can write for several sites at the same time. I spend a lot of time on researching and writing. I never try to figure out what it equals per hour because I'd be writing for pennies. But when you add all the sites together you can make a decent income. Multiple streams of income add up.

1. lillm profile image61

I think because I'm so new, I have spent tons of time just researching the online writing process, maybe even putting more time into research than writing right now. There is so much to learn! I hope to start writing for multiple sites soon. Thanks for your advice!

3. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

Bear in mind that writing as a career involves a lot more than just writing...it also involves information and trend research, searching for clients if you go that route, corresponding with clients and readers, seeking out new opportunities, and doing your bookkeeping.

Personally, I have been a full-time writer for three years now, and spend about 50 hours a week on a mixture of writing and all the other duties that come with it. Initially, I put in as much as 80 hours a week writing proposals, building up portfolios, and struggling just to find the next client -- along with doing the actual work. At the time almost all of my income came from freelancing, though I wrote for a couple of affiliate sites when I had a spare moment.

Now I usually work about 8-10 hours per day, and it's gotten to where most of that is spent writing rather than all of the other administrative stuff. I've always tried to divide up my work day to include a certain amount of time writing for affiliate sites (currently Hubpages, Helium, Associated Content, and Epinions) to build up my residual income, and the rest of my writing time is spent on my client projects. Affiliate earnings can add up to something substantial over time, but if you need a steady paycheck then clients are a great way to get an up-front lump as soon as the work is finished.

This year I finally got to the point that I could spend 2-3 hours per day on affiliate sites, and currently have an overall article base of about 750 pieces that I own the rights to and that have residual potential. Normally, affiliate earnings make up about 80% of my income now, though with baby due shortly I've been spending a lot more time on the residuals and a lot less on the clients (I really don't want to upset clients that could be late when I go into labor), so it's been more like 50% for now.

Overall, there are only so many hours in the day, so once you find a way to get your foot in the door your goal is to work for increasing dollar amounts per hour, and/or increasing amounts of residual income. Don't expect to be making market wages right away, and if you decide to freelance then hold on to the good, repeat clients with all you have -- these are the ones that will keep you going in the future, you get to know their expectations well and do jobs for them without any additional time investment in proposals or clarification, and a lot less time in revision.

1. lillm profile image61

It's inspiring to hear that you've been able to become a full-time writer. I can't currently dedicate a ton of time to writing now because of my job (online writing is more of a hobby for me right now), but I'd love to develop my knowledge and expertise over the next few years to eventually be able to write full time. It's so helpful to get tips and advice from people like you that do this full time, so I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me about your experience.

1. wychic profile image85
        wychicposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a great place to start smile...the more time you have to learn when you're not relying on it, as well as time to build up recurring income on affiliate sites like this before the money HAS to be there, the better. Initially that's how I'd intended to do it, but life changes kind of threw me off a cliff and decided when I'd go full-time with my writing -- a little while before I thought I was ready. Being able to learn at your own pace and slowly build while relying on a more stable income will give you a lot more room to learn through experimentation, a lot less stress, and a lot more time to figure out just what facets of the writing world you like and want to pursue before money becomes the overriding factor.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

I make about 10-20% of my income online from about an hour a day's work.  It is a matter of trying things, recording which are the most profitable, and doing more of that.  In my case ebooks writing makes the bulk of the money, but advertising on blogs and content writing also contributes.

1. lillm profile image61

Yes, for now I'm doing most of my learning from reading about other people's experiences, but I have started to pay more attention to how my own work performs in the hope of identifying some patterns of what works and what doesn't. I admit I don't know much about ebooks, but you've inspired me to check them out. Thanks for the advice!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)