jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)

Which topics seem to be popular for Hubs?

1. profile image0
    Fennposted 5 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5991401_f248.jpg
    What Hubs do readers seem to enjoy the most, and why?

1. dungeonraider profile image85
      dungeonraiderposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't focus on what's popular to readers, I'd focus on writing articles that you are capable of giving a unique viewpoint on.  Keep in mind that, if you are doing this to make money, you need to write about something that advertisers can match paying ads to.

It's why you see so many recipes, travel articles, and tekkie gadget hubs.  Because those get ads that people will click on and buy.

If you're interested in writing for the sake of writing, religion, politics, games, and animals are all highly read topics.

1. profile image0
        Fennposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Solid advice. Yeah I'm not too serious about anything right now, but I am new to this so I want to get a better grasp of what people like, and what works. Thanks, very useful.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image60
      WD Curry 111posted 5 years agoin reply to this

How should I know. "Please, don't call me a Hubber."

1. profile image0

Sorry! I won't call you a "Hubber", I guess that's not the most dashing of compliments...

1. WD Curry 111 profile image60

It's a joke. I wrote a hub by that title, and I was bending the rules to generate some interest. I am glad to be a hubber.

To answer the question . . . there isn't a subject in the world that doesn't interest hubbers.

1. profile image0

Oops, I have not read that Hub yet! Thanks, I guess it is true that no matter what you write about, someone will want to read it.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image60

I know, that is why I was generating interest. When I see the variety of subjects covered so well by folks around here, it blows my mind.

3. vocalcoach profile image94
      vocalcoachposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I really don't write for others, I create hubs that I am passionate about. At the same time, my goal is always directed toward helping others. If your hubs are unique and original, traffic will come regardless of the topic. The key is to be sure the title is inviting.

1. profile image0

That sounds logical, thanks! And I too mostly write about things that interest me, or that I know about, however I always like to learn what interests others as well.

4. Daniella Lopez profile image87
      Daniella Lopezposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I just write about what interests me. I figure if it interests me, surely there's someone else out there that finds it interesting as well.

1. profile image0

Very true. I looked at some of your Hubs and they caught my interest, so it must be working!

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Are the techniques on your hub about success not working for you?

1. profile image0

No I've gotten quite a few comments on all my Hubs, And there scores are going up consistently. But I don't want to have a narrow field of writing if you know what I mean, so I was just wondering what people really like reading about?

1. relache profile image87
        relacheposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The way your initial request is worded combined with your brief time on HubPages makes your inquiry appear to be much like past requests where people were just trying to copy or rip-off the work of top performers here, so don't be surprised if no one gives you anything resembling a specific answer.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the heads up

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

If I knew, I'd write to that slant and be slamming them like the way I catch trout.  Until then, I will write Hubs because I want to write.  I write what interests me and hope others share my passion for the same topics.

1. profile image0

Good advice, and I intend to do that as well. It just interests me to know what other people are interested in!

1. kenwrites profile image79
        kenwritesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

People are interested in all kinds of things. Although finding lucrative niches such as making-money, love and losing weight are great, the real sustainable passive income is writing long-term on your passions and interests. Write what you know, write it well and have fun. The money will follow.

1. profile image0

Thanks, I'm not even too concerned with money, but I guess it's a bonus! Good advice.

4. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 5 years ago

You are doing really well on HubPages - you already have lots of comments and followers.  Keep doing what you are doing and you will do fine.

1. profile image0

Thanks so much, I'm glad you think so, and I'll keep that in mind.

5. parentsreview profile image86
    parentsreviewposted 5 years ago

The stuff that seems to generate the most comments, are things that are practical, but mainly anything that is a hubber to hubber benefit, like a how-to on something to do with hubpages.  Also, any insight on keywords or anything to generate more traffic.

1. Marisa Wright profile image95
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That will certainly get you interest from other Hubbers, but it will only be short-term, and you'll make very little money on them.

The HubPages community is very small, and if you just write with them in mind, you'll soon run out of audience.  If your goal is to get readership and perhaps make some income, you need to be aiming at a much wider public - the millions of people who are searching on Google and other search engines.

So, the best way to choose a subject is to ask yourself, "what do I know about that people might be searching for?"  As for keywords, ask yourself, "when they're searching, what words are they likely to be typing in?"

Other Hubbers won't share the topics that do well, because that would only increase the competition for that topic.  So you really need to work it out for yourself.

1. profile image0

Marisa Wright, Thank you for sharing your insight into this topic! This is some of the most useful advice I have received thus far. Thank you and I will keep it in mind, especially the part about keywords

2. profile image0

parentsreview, thanks for your advice. That does make sense and I have seen that here on Hubpages.

6. eddiecarrara profile image95
    eddiecarraraposted 5 years ago

Hey Fenn, The first question you need to ask yourself is who are you writing for? Are you writing for hubbers or are you writing for the world? If your writing for hubbers, it really doesn't matter what your writing about, because your followers will see your topics and read your hubs if they look interesting. If your're writing for the world wide web and and you want some traffic from other places besides hubpages, you will need to do some keyword research. So it all depends on who your writing for smile

1. profile image0

Hi eddiecarrara! Thanks a lot for your tips. I don't really know too much about keywords so some research could certainly be useful! Thanks.

7. always exploring profile image83
    always exploringposted 5 years ago

My favorite hubs are poetry. We have some really good poets on Hubpages...

1. profile image0

I definitely agree with that. I don't think I'm a very consummate poet, or writer for that matter! But maybe I could compile something...Thanks

working