jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How Often Should I Replace My Pillows?

1. ngureco profile image84
    ngurecoposted 7 years ago

How Often Should I Replace My Pillows?

2. Midasfx profile image66
    Midasfxposted 7 years ago

I think that changing a pillow comes down to personal preference. I change my pillows when they start to get really flat and not dong their job anymore. When they get flat I start to experience neck pain or wake up sore. Once this happens my pillow is the first thing to go in the trash.

I can usually get a good 6-9 months out of a cheap pillow.

3. ross670daw profile image69
    ross670dawposted 7 years ago

Pillows should, I have learnt, be actually washed at least once every 2 weeks to remove the accumulated dead skin, bacteria and mould from them, which has been tested to improve quality of sleep. I know this probably isn't what people do, but scientists have tested pillows and found they could then be replaced less regularly, according to support and comfort level.

4. coltenk profile image56
    coltenkposted 7 years ago

I'd say when the drool spots overwhelm the fabric! If you wash them every now and then (2-3 months) they should last you a year depending on the quality.

5. Arc4life profile image78
    Arc4lifeposted 4 years ago

You should replace your neck pillow if you are not getting the support that you need. You may be waking up with headaches, a stiff neck or neck pain.

With fiber pillows they often need to be replaced sooner than foam pillows.

Also, a more firm pillow such as the tri core pillow (gentle or firm) is a very dense pillow, with the fiber packed into the pillow. Such a firm pillow does not work for everyone, but its great for those who prefer a firmer support pillow. These pillows will also last you long time, as it takes a long time for the fiber to break down.

Also one more note, get a dust cover for your pillow especially if you love the way that this pillow feels. Wash your dust cover regularly, and air out your pillows as well. Washing them just breaks down the fibers, so i don't recommend. Use your regular pillow case over your dust cover.

Here is a great pillow that provides great neck support. It is the pillow I sleep on every night. Personally I use a dust cover, that i wash regularly.

Arc4life Cervical traction neck pillow
    http://arc4life.hubpages.com/hub/A-Pill … nd-Support

working