jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are effective methods to successfully eliminating mould within the home?

1. keepitnatural profile image72
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

What are effective methods to successfully eliminating mould within the home?

I have a relatively small area of mould growth in my house, however my parents have a much larger problem with it in an area of their home. What are the dangers of this & how can it be completely killed off?
    My parents have a damp problem of which I am aware will need to be addressed, but in the mean time is there a way of killing off the existing mould?

2. Powerful Pierre profile image79
    Powerful Pierreposted 7 years ago

Yo dude don't mess around this  Get a hold of a yellow-page Mold removing company to at least have a professional inspect your house and your parents house too to get an idea of what kind of mold it is. I once rented a house where the landlord dillydaddled til the problem became too severe from roof dampness. The cost (I had moved out) he told me over the phone after was more than his actual 1st estimate. Remember too molds can be hazardous to your health. Good Luck

3. Ohma profile image75
    Ohmaposted 7 years ago

Most people have moderate allergies to every kind of mold. As PP suggested if you do not know what you are dealing with it is best to contact a professional. Stachybotrys or black mold can be deadly.
    I have a good deal of experience with cleaning and mold remediation and the thing is without knowing the source of the moisture it is impossible to say what effects it could be having on anyones health.
    Bleach kills mold so does sunlight or UV light but without getting rid of the source of the dampness it will just keep coming back. the do sell dehumidifiers relatively cheap these days which would also help.

4. cheapsk8chick profile image56
    cheapsk8chickposted 7 years ago

If you can't find a pro in your area that removes the mold, you can buy an industrial steamer and kill it.  Granted, it would be a trial and error situation between finding the problem, eliminating the problem, and eliminating the mold that already exists.  But a good high-powered steamer (like the Elephant) will kill it off.

working