jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do you know how a breaker box works? and how to re-set it, if necessary?

1. Truckstop Sally profile image61
    Truckstop Sallyposted 7 years ago

Do you know how a breaker box works? and how to re-set it, if necessary?

Ladies -- Be honest!  And if not, I challenge you to find out!!
    I often "throw" a breaker when ironing or running the dishwasher, so I had to learn OR ELSE wear wrinkled clothes and do the dishes myself!

2. profile image48
    kitkat03posted 7 years ago

u flip specific switches to turn the electricity on and off

3. framistan profile image57
    framistanposted 7 years ago

Look down the row of breaker-handles.  One of them will look a little bit mis-aligned compared to all the others.  That is most likely the one that has tripped.  Some breakers can just be pushed back to the "ON" position.  Some of them you must push to OFF... then to the on position.  When breakers trip a certain number of times they can become "worn-out" and may trip at a WRONG amperage.  Very few people know this fact but it is true.  If you have a breaker that has tripped many times, it is wise to have a professional REPLACE that breaker with a new one.  If your breaker keeps tripping because you are running too many appliances on that line, ... you may need to have your electrician run a separate line to one of the offending appliances.  This will cost you a couple hundred bucks but will solve the problem.  If you can't afford that... then consider moving your ironing board to a different part of the house so you are on a different breaker.  OR... you could NOT IRON while the dishwasher is running.

4. charleigh345 profile image58
    charleigh345posted 7 years ago

Oh Yes!..This is necessary I believe for women to know, so that in the event of a breaker being thrown for what ever reason, that you are able to go to your box, & look to see what has happened. But, I will say, I still iron my own clothes, and do my own dishes....lol...I have found that I use less water than my dish washer, so am giving it away to someone that needed one!...

5. eugbug profile image98
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

What causes electrical faults in the home?  Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCB), Ground Fault Interrupters (GFI), Residual Current Devices (RCD), electrical panels and resetting breakers when they trip. read more