jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Would you get a home inspection to help sell your house?

1. nformation profile image60
    nformationposted 7 years ago

Would you get a home inspection to help sell your house?

2. nightwork4 profile image60
    nightwork4posted 7 years ago

i wouldn't unless the buyer asked for it. too many inspectors don't know their butts from a hole in the ground so it's a waste of money. if you feel you need your home inspected, hire a good contractor to come in and do the inspection, they will know more then the home inspectors do in most cases.

3. Sue B. profile image98
    Sue B.posted 7 years ago

Some states actually require a home inspection although the potential buyer is responsible for this.  Knowing ahead of time what could be wrong with your house before selling could benefit you.  You could fix some minors issues and be aware of any bigger issues that may not be worth making the investment to fix.  If your potential buyer gets their own home inspection, this may help you challenge their home inspection if it varies greatly from the one you obtained.
    If I was selling my home, I would weigh the cost of the home inspection and the potential benefit of knowing the current condition of my house.  Keep in mind if a potential buyer was interested in the results of a home inspection, they probably would not trust yours and would want to get their own anyway.
    nightwork4 also makes a good point.  A good contractor may be more helpful for you.

4. Lars Knobloch profile image54
    Lars Knoblochposted 6 years ago

The only reason for you to get a home inspection before selling your home, would be if you suspect there is some issues with the home that could cause a potential buyer to walk away. If you could repair any of these issues on your own cost, you will decrease the chance for the deal to fall through based on a buyers inspection.