jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do I really need a home inspection on a house before making a purchase offer?

1. DonnaCosmato profile image96
    DonnaCosmatoposted 6 years ago

Do I really need a home inspection on a house before making a purchase offer?

2. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

In some states you have to do so before you can get the loan, but even if it isn't mandatory by law, I would think it's still a very good idea.  We bought a "fixer upper" and although we were aware of things that needed to be attended to, the home inspector was able to get into all the nooks and crannies and really test for things and gave us some valuable information.  It's definitely a worthwhile investment, particularly if there is a chance they may find a major flaw.  It will help ease your mind that you are making the best investment with your money.

3. Gypsy Willow profile image80
    Gypsy Willowposted 6 years ago

Definitely yes! The $200 or so dollars it costs are almost essential as the inspectors find things that ordinary mortals miss. It will also give you a valid reason to get out of a purchase if necessary.

4. profile image0
    rmcleveposted 6 years ago

Absolutely!

I agree with ChristinS and Gypsy Willow.

If the inspector finds any major flaw, you can use that repair as leverage while bartering. You could pay less if you offer to take on those repairs or the current owner might do them.

It's like trying on clothes you'll be paying on for 30 or so years. I'd probably want to check the stitching on anything I'd be paying for that long.

working