jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best way to protect a garage floor from contaminants such as motor o

1. CWanamaker profile image97
    CWanamakerposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to protect a garage floor from contaminants such as motor oil?

There are lots of different types of concrete sealers and floor coverings.  Which do you think is best and why?

2. brintd09 profile image60
    brintd09posted 6 years ago

I would recommend an epoxy floor coating over sealers. These are cheap, durable coatings that you can do yourself. We actually use them to coat the floors of our roofing trailers, If you can wipe tar off them then motor oil should be no problem. They are found at all the major home improvement stores and wipe clean with just a rag.

3. sparkhurst profile image66
    sparkhurstposted 6 years ago

My son and I did this in our garage and it was easy and super super durable and easy to clean. The chips keep them from being too slippery.

4. Stevethepainter profile image61
    Stevethepainterposted 6 years ago

Epoxy Coatings are the way to go !!

Be sure to do your pre-paint prep correctly: sweep, scrub, etch with an acid solution ( ventilation and eye/ hand protection required), rinse with clear water, and let thoroughly dry first.

Your epoxy is only as good as the bond it has to the floor.

GL with it big_smile

5. planseva profile image55
    plansevaposted 6 years ago

Always worm-up the car before you start driving and you will never have any problem with an engine, oil and so on. (Even it is summer!)