jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

If you could live like the Amish would you?

1. MegStarr profile image59
    MegStarrposted 6 years ago

If you could live like the Amish would you?

If you had the choice to live like the Amish and to grow and raise your own plants and animals and be even more close to your faimly, along with not ever having to put a foot inside an office and allowing the farm and house to be your office would you?

2. Sunshyne1975 profile image85
    Sunshyne1975posted 6 years ago

I believe I would. I think it would instill great values in my children, bring us closer and live a life that was filled with much more peace and structure than in this crazy chaotic world.

3. nightwork4 profile image59
    nightwork4posted 6 years ago

not unless i have to. i enjoy the things we have. amish people seem to like their lives and i like mine. to each their own.

4. JamaGenee profile image85
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

It depends on location.  There is no single Amish group per se.  Each "congregation" is allowed to make its own rules as far as how much worldliness is allowed.  That said, what I saw of the Amish in the Elkhart IN area, I think I could live among them.  Although they aren't connected to the power grid, they DO have modern appliances, all run by self-generated electricity.  Fastening one's clothes with straight pins, however, WOULD get a bit tedious after awhile!

5. Marpi profile image66
    Marpiposted 6 years ago

I think I could. Now, I'm in a period of my life when I'm craving for a more peaceful and simple life, where you have time for the small things in life and you live in harmony with the nature. I really think that running all day long, very often without a purpose, can't bring you true happiness in life.

6. alliemacb profile image94
    alliemacbposted 6 years ago

I don't think the Amish way of life would suit me, but I think I would like to try it for a while to see what it's like