jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What is the best way to get a large stripped screw out of a stud?

1. radgirl profile image80
    radgirlposted 6 years ago

What is the best way to get a large stripped screw out of a stud?

2. kenwrites profile image83
    kenwritesposted 6 years ago

Not exactly sure what your asking, but heat would probably be your best best. Propane torch just enough to heat the screw but not to a red color. Grab the screw with a pair of vise grips and twist it out. The other option would be a screw extractor, which honestly is a pain in the rear. LOL

3. JamaGenee profile image83
    JamaGeneeposted 6 years ago

When my cousin and I first ran into this when remodeling her house, we simply chipped away the surrounding wood with the tip of a small screwdriver until there was enough room to get the slot of a pry bar under the head.  Then we pried it out. I'm wondering, though, why you need to remove the screw at all.  Are you recycling the wood, or just wanting it out because it's "there"....

4. radgirl profile image80
    radgirlposted 6 years ago

I am wondering this because we were screwing the support that holds the over-the-toilet thing to the wall, and the screws that came with it suck and the drill instantly stripped it, but it's totally lodged into the stud, but still sticking out just enough that the over-the-toilet thing has some play and isn't totally flush with the wall.  I read that you can stick a rubber band between the screwdriver and the screw and that will work, but it is so jammed in and stripped almost smooth that we can't get it out.  I wanted to know if there was a better way than prying it, because that will more than likely chip the white wood.

working