jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What was the most recent energy saving product you purchased for your home?

1. flashmakeit profile image70
    flashmakeitposted 5 years ago

What was the most recent energy saving product you purchased for your home?

2. NiaG profile image90
    NiaGposted 5 years ago

It's been a while but it was the energy saving bulbs. Each room has one.

3. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 5 years ago

Guess that would have to be our new 5,000 watt portable generator.  We live off grid, no power company hookup, thank you!  The smaller 2,000 watt generator works beautifuly to power this computer, the TV's, lights, etc.--but it's not large enough to run the microwave oven. 

With the new beast sitting out in the yard and connected via 100' extension cord, it's a simple matter of meandering out, starting the gennie, cooking a TV dinner for a few minutes, and...turn the gennie off.  Definitely labor saving by comparison with the alternative, which was to cook everything on the 2-burner camp stove.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Wall mounted heat pump that heats and is also an air conditioner.  Works well and really energy efficient.

5. profile image0
    The Writers Dogposted 5 years ago

I had to replace a light globe. In Australia now, we are only able to buy "energy efficient" globes at the price of three old fashioned globes.
    These contain cancer causing chemicals, and blink when they are not on at the switch. My power bill has gone up since being forced to change over to these horrible things.

1. BlossomSB profile image92
      BlossomSBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

In Victoria there's some government initiative where people install 'power saving switches' on the TV, etc. It kept going off right in the middle of something exciting, so I removed them! Surely we can remember to turn it off at the wall to save powe

6. BlossomSB profile image92
    BlossomSBposted 5 years ago

I agree with Writer Dog; they are also not aesthetically pleasing as they poke out the top of lampshades. Instead of buying an energy saving product I now have no electric clothes-dryer. I hang the clothes out in the sunshine and they smell lovely. There might be a problem as winter approaches, though.

working