jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How can the right curtains equal energy saving?

1. brittvan22 profile image81
    brittvan22posted 5 years ago

How can the right curtains equal energy saving?

How does a specific pair of curtains claim to reduce your energy costs?

2. thranax profile image52
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

While the actual impact curtains can make on your energy costs are miniscule to say the most the logical answers are how they will reduce your energy costs. They are:

-Keep heat out in the summertime by blocking the sun from entering the room.
    -Keep cold in the house.
    -Keep cold out of the house.
    -Keep heat in the house.
    -Block any open drafts around the window.

Other then that curtains can't really do much.

~thranax~

1. jonnycomelately profile image84
      jonnycomelatelyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

They really do a lot, Thranax, especially with closely fitting pelmets. Slows the convection currents between window and curtain.

3. Angela Blair profile image79
    Angela Blairposted 5 years ago

Living in Texas and always experiencing tremendous summer heat -- curtains and drapes play a big part in conserving energy. My house is energy efficient but I assist it by having heavy, lined drapes that open and close. I've found that by 2 o'clock in the afternoon the sun comes in my big, front, west-facing window and the a/c has to work a lot harder. I now just draw those drapes, keep out the sun and my electricity bill reflects the difference. The right curtains are tremendously important to saving energy -- those with sun reflecting qualities are excellent and heavy linings in curtains make a huge difference in the amount of heat that comes through windows.

1. brittvan22 profile image81
      brittvan22posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Wow, thanks makes sense now! I will spread the word!

4. profile image0
    LikaMarieposted 5 years ago

I knew someone that had something along the lines of 3 or 4 sets of curtains that got rotated throughout the year, to go with the seasons.  Summer ones were good at blocking light out, so the house stayed cooler.  Spring and fall, were other curtains, that may let some light in, but would absorb some heat, or maybe allow some heat in or something?  And winter ones would block out light too, but, because they were dark, would absorb light to warm up the place, or something like that.  I didn't quite get it, because some are all season.

working