jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do professional Rug Cleaners Recycle their cleaning water and if so, Can they sp

1. davenmidtown profile image88
    davenmidtownposted 5 years ago

Do professional Rug Cleaners Recycle their cleaning water and if so, Can they spread bed bugs?

As an entomology student, I have to tell you that bed bugs disgust me. I was curious how companies such as professional home rug cleaners deal with the potential for cross contamination or spreading of pest bugs.  Insects can be very hardy and there are cases where they can freeze solid in winter and wake up in the spring.  Some actually produce an anti-freeze type chemical to keep them from freezing... so do the rug cleaning companies recycle their water, filter their water, or use fresh water each time they go to a new home?

2. Eliminate Cancer profile image60
    Eliminate Cancerposted 5 years ago

Eeeeeeewwwwww!!!

Ok, that's not really an answer, it's more of a reaction.

I don't know for sure, but I think they have a cleaning solution in a separate container (tank?) and they use a hose that merges with the solution to clean the rug.  All the waste water goes away and isn't used again.

I know that's how many bug sprays for the garden are operated, and how restaurants carbonate soft drinks.  It would be inefficient to schlep around the cleaning solution and water together - and after they are mixed, there's not much that can be done with it except dispose of it.

3. BlossomSB profile image93
    BlossomSBposted 5 years ago

What an interesting question! Especially about the amazing survival powers of bugs. I certainly hope that the companies use fresh water for each client. Perhaps the cleaning fluid is strong enough to kill off some of the bugs at least. I've heard that bedbugs are making a come-back after having been nearly eliminated, so if we're travelling, we'll need to keep a watch for those telltale marks on the sheets.

4. smcopywrite profile image27
    smcopywriteposted 5 years ago

great question. another question about the spread of bed bugs and rug cleaning is renting rug cleaners for the DIY rug cleaning. they are to be returned to the rental store "clean". however, what one person considers clean and what another does it certainly two different things.

working