jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How do you dry a soaked carpet without professional cleaning help?

1. hobbynob profile image79
    hobbynobposted 5 years ago

How do you dry a soaked carpet without professional cleaning help?

2. pippap profile image85
    pippapposted 5 years ago

Rent a wet vac from a local Safeway or any other place that rents this type of equipment.  Follow this up with plenty of air circulation in the room.

3. teyeger82 profile image78
    teyeger82posted 5 years ago

A Wet-Vac will help and so will air circulation, but to avoid problems with mold and mildew the carpet has to be pulled up and the air blown beneath it. You will need more than one fan, and a dehumidifier is helpful as well. If the carpet is glued down, you can dry it without lifting, but if it has a pad underneath you really must lift it.

4. landscapeartist profile image78
    landscapeartistposted 5 years ago

My mother had water flood her first floor apartment just last weekend.   We had to take her our wet/dry vacuum to soak up the mess.  Her carpet was taken outside and air dried.  We had to lay it out over the line for a few days so it would not stink. 
    The floor in her apartment got worse damage than the carpet.  The water soaked under the tiles and is lifting some of them up. linoleum in the bathroom had suffered water leakage from before she moved in and their is now mildew damage.   
    In your case, you may want to check the floor itself and along the wall and crevices too.  closets and such as well.  She found water on the floor of her closet but there was no water trail leading into it.  The water made its way into there through the adjacent wall.

5. SowmiRajesh profile image60
    SowmiRajeshposted 5 years ago

I had a wet carpet in my basement once. Removed the excess water by blotting a wash cloth on the area and squeeze it in a bucket. After i removed a max excess water, I used a space heater and dehumidifier to dry it down. when I got more water in the basement due to a plumbing leak, I rented a wet vac and removed it. Even then, I ran a space heater to dry the wet carpet.
    Try to increase the air circulation, to avoid smell.