jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you have problems with fluorescent lights? If yes, what are they?

1. Lwelch profile image92
    Lwelchposted 5 years ago

Do you have problems with fluorescent lights? If yes, what are they?

2. Lisa HW profile image73
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Yes.  Although I can tolerate them, up to a point, somewhere like in some stores; I find them horrible in a home or office setting.  They're like one, big, solid, block of either white or yellow-ish light; and somehow, to me, it feels like there's kind of major "electrical conflict" that must go on between my brain and the fluorescent lighting.  Some of it, I don't mind.  For example, a single one near a washer/dryer doesn't bother me.  It's the whole-room lighting that sucks the energy out of me.

If I get rid of fluorescent lighting and instead have either softer lighting or else natural light, it feels to me as if my actual physical energy is creeping back in.

Well, as far as I know, fluorescent lighting as been linked to some actual physical effects (and not good ones, by any means), so it seems about right to me that it would bother me the way it does.  I've also read that people with blue/light-colored eyes may be more sensitive to fluorescent lights, so I guess that could be a factor (although my kids, who have dark eyes, have indicated that fluorescent lights can bother them too).

Basically, I find most whole-room fluorescent lighting to feel like torture.   hmm  In stores, maybe having the lights farther away from one's eyes/head helps.  I don't know.  The lights in my supermarket or local WalMart (etc.) don't bother me.  (Of course, WalMart, itself, bothers me in its own, WalMart-y, way; so maybe I just don't notice the lights there.  (LOL) )

Lwelchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds a lot like me.  Sometimes I just leave my sunglasses on.

3. Rob Led profile image80
    Rob Ledposted 5 years ago

They all contain Mercury, a nasty chemical that kills of wetland areas. Fluorescent lights will be banned at some point, LEDs can already replace most lighting requirements.
    http://www.ledcanada.com/

Lwelchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that mercury is nasty.  I have wondered why we have thought mercury vs non-mercury was an improvement. 

Interestingly, I have problems with LED lights similar to fluorescent lights - I can see them flicker.  On some colors it is very bad.

working