jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How do I get courgettes (zucchini) to produce fruits instead of just male flower

1. stressed mum profile image61
    stressed mumposted 5 years ago

How do I get courgettes (zucchini) to produce fruits instead of just male flowers?

2. MickS profile image73
    MickSposted 5 years ago

I planted mine in the garden and let them get on with it, I've had loads, they do need plenty of sun and water, and you need to keep harvesting to encourage more growth.

stressed mumposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's what I did too. Loads of flowers but not a single fruit on 6 plants.

2. MickS profile image73
      MickSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What, 6 plants, are you feeding the whole neighbourhood?  I have two plants, and have to keep cutting and giving away.  I haven't bought a courgette for well over a month, I have several a week for myself and loads more for the neighbours.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

Chances are that your plant is genetically modified. Genetically modified plants have genes from an animal (tomatoes have hering genes, potatoes have genes from scorpio, etc). In this case, if the plant produces fruit the first time around, the second season it will only produce flowers. Sometimes they don't produce fruit to begin with.

Good luck with it. Log onto this: http://www.organicconsumers.org/

4. RoxiM profile image60
    RoxiMposted 5 years ago

Sometimes they don't set fruit when the weather's too hot. What I've seen with my zucchini this summer is that most of the blossoms (male and female) have dropped. Last week, a couple plants finally started setting some fruit. If you're still getting lots of male flowers, you can always dip them in batter and fry them. Yummy!

stressed mumposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ist fruit spotted today! Maybe its just the bad weather, it certainly hasn't been too hot!

5. stressed mum profile image61
    stressed mumposted 5 years ago

Just to let you know I finally have some courgettes! Only small yet but in a few days they should be ready to eat!

1. profile image0
      Garifaliaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

congratulations! They're definitely not GM, thank goodness!

working