jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Which Vegetables Provide The Most Harvest For The Least Amount Of Effort?

1. PhoenixV profile image74
    PhoenixVposted 5 years ago

2. Silva Hayes profile image91
    Silva Hayesposted 5 years ago

I don't claim to be an expert, but based on quantity and a surplus every year, I'm going to say zuchinni.

3. oceansnsunsets profile image88
    oceansnsunsetsposted 5 years ago

I have heard that asparagus are good winter vegetables.  If in the right spot, you don't have to do hardly anything, except keep cutting them and eating them!  That is one I hope to try soon.

I had a great harvest with tomatoes one year in particular, and hardly did anything.  The next year the soil wasn't as good, as it was too depleted.  If you can maintain healthy soil, tomatoes are a good winner.

Besides those, I have grown squash very well for a few years as well at tomatillos.  I like herbs, like cayenne, and different peppers as well.  They are hearty in bad soil conditions I have found.

4. landocheese profile image91
    landocheeseposted 5 years ago

There are so many vegetables that require little effort that it is tough to pick one, but when I think about which vegetable I am constantly picking and eating on a daily basis for weeks with little effort it has to be tomatoes.

I start mine form seed so there is effort there but it is very simple. All that is really needed to grow great tomatoes is a steady water supply and occasional pruning of unwanted vines. That is pretty simple for the many pounds of food that you get.

If you want a vegetable that can be part of nearly any meal, produces over an extended period, and is easy to care for, tomatoes are the answer to your question.

5. mvillecat profile image78
    mvillecatposted 5 years ago

Again, I have to answer lettuce. It required very little management and with a large return.

6. amos316 profile image73
    amos316posted 5 years ago

It’s just my personal opinion, the largest harvest that I know of would be cherry tomatoes at 450 pounds per 100 foot row. The easiest to grow would be okra at 175 pounds per 100 foot row.  It really would also depend on soil condition, rain fall amount, insects and critters,  and would also dependant on variety. Standard sweet corn would give you 6 to 8 dozen per 100 foot row. Heirloom six shooter corn would give you around 50 dozen per 100 foot row. As a happy medium, I would go with okra cause I am almost willing to bet I could grow that under my finger nails without breaking a sweat. lol

7. Kate Mc Bride profile image86
    Kate Mc Brideposted 5 years ago

the humble spud a.k.a. potato is my answer being from Ireland. it is still our staple diet here despite a  four year famine in this country  in 1845 because the potato crop failed. We eat different varieties depending on the time of year and they were harvested manually until recently. I never hear of anyone "picking spuds" these days all the same so maybe they use machinery now