jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What investment instrument have you had the most success (least amount of loss/m

1. C. Whitaker profile image71
    C. Whitakerposted 8 years ago

What investment instrument have you had the most success (least amount of loss/most return) with?

This could include stocks, bonds, mutual funds, ETFs, futures, options, etc.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image61
    Ralph Deedsposted 8 years ago

I've had the most success with Vanguard's no load, low cost, tax efficient index mutual funds. I own the following Vanguard funds in roughly equal amounts--Index 500, Total International Index, Small Cap Index, and Health Care, a bond fund  and a a reserve in Vanguard's money market fund. Before becoming a Vanguard "indexer" I tried to pick individual stocks for years with mixed results and eventually decided that was a loser's game, for me at least.

3. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image81
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 8 years ago

I have made regular returns, exceptionally high 100% yoy for last three years and that is my Goats. Without any problem they are giving me 100% returns every year.

4. walk the line profile image71
    walk the lineposted 8 years ago

Having invested in many different areas including stocks, bonds mutual funds, and the foreign exchange I feel that the strategy that without a doubt yields the most return is real estate. I am not talking about the appreciation on your primary residence but instead the cash flow, equity buildup, tax advantages and appreciation you get from an intelligently purchased and well run revenue property. For the average person real estate is usually the investment option that they understand the best and offers a certain amount of personal control, not to mention the fact that banks are usually willing to lend you up to 90% of the capital needed. When you do the math correctly and realize how much return you are bringing in using the bank's money (instead of your own money like with many other investment strategies) you begin to see that there is no comparison at all. It takes a little more effort than just buying and holding some stocks for example, but like everything else in life you are rewaded for those efforts. Just a small example: We bought an older building with long term tenants and low rents compared to other buildings in the area, we had an older unit that was renting at $500 per month which became vacant, by doing some renovations it now rents at $750 per month, which means we bring in an extra $3000 per year (on top of the fact that the property was already paying itself off and building equity), since revenue properties usually sell at roughly 10 times the annual revenue the building, which now brings in an extra $3000 per year is technically worth $30,000 more (3000 x 10), not to mention that the costs of the renovations are tax deductible, now imagine doing the same with all the other units, add to the fact that the initial investment was almost all borrowed from the banks, and consider the gradual appreciation of the building and you will be hard pressed to beat those results with other investment strategies. Good luck.

5. DanPowers profile image56
    DanPowersposted 8 years ago

The corporate bond funds I bought after 2008's financial crash. Good dividends and good capital growth!

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Profit-f … -Bond-ETFs

6. jay21 profile image52
    jay21posted 8 years ago

I would have to fully agree with the Vanguard & Rental real estate. Hasn't fallen off a bit.

7. Daddy Paul profile image72
    Daddy Paulposted 7 years ago

For buy and hold Royce low price stock fund RYLPX. over 10% per year since 1996.
    For short term investments ETF TNA. Up 35% in September 2010. I do not own it at this time 10/30/2010. If the market drops I will buy it back.

working