jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Anyy tips for clearing a grease clogged drain?

1. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Anyy tips for clearing a grease clogged drain?

Do you have any tips for clearing a sink clogged with grease? I've tried baking soda, vinegar, boiling water etc. still not much luck.

2. carozy profile image87
    carozyposted 5 years ago

You might have to go to Drano.  I wrote a hub if you're interested: http://carozy.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-f … ntrate-Gel

1. profile image72
      ElleBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I might need to go for the Drano.  Was trying to avoid it, but might not have a choice.

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Boiling water should loosen it.  Then use a snake you can purchase at the hardware store.

1. profile image72

Yeah I'll try the boiling water again. I think we have a drain snake somewhere - if not I may need to depend on a metal coat hanger smile

2. duffsmom profile image60
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

See if you have any picture hanging wire - it 's more flexible.  Also after the boiling water, try a plunger which might dislodge the clog and send it on down--be careful not to get burned!  Good luck.

4. Ardot profile image90
    Ardotposted 5 years ago

Hey there! Gently coax with a coat hanger to get out the big, then dump a box of arm and hammer baking soda by a white vinegar chaser.
    The chemical reaction will clean your drain clean. When the fizzing stops rinse with hot water.
    Check out my hub about it...
    http://ardot.hubpages.com/hub/Eco-frien … your-drain

1. profile image72

Yeah that makes sense. I think my mistake was in thinking that since it was just a grease clog there was no "big" thing down there clogging it in the first place, just a little grease here and there.

2. Ardot profile image90
      Ardotposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Do you have access to the p-trap? You might benefit from placing a container under the p-trap, unscrewing it and physicallly removong the gunk from there... then once the blockage is gone, quickly replace the p-trap cover. Also have towels handy...

3. profile image72

It seems to be running at least marginally better now, so I think we're good for now, and the woman at Ace recommended a good build up remover I'll try next, becase I think our problem is just ongoing build up and not a big clog.  Thanks!

Closed to reply

working