jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)

Who makes the best cordless drill?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

Who makes the best cordless drill?

As a craftsman, I'm forever messing with drills and saws, but I wonder what others here on HP might think is the best brand of cordless drill?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7264639_f260.jpg

2. Grant's World profile image82
    Grant's Worldposted 5 years ago

I don't mind Dewalt. I also have a 20V Mastercraft I picked up for half price. Of course you can spend hundreds of dollars on cordless drills and most of them I think might ne worth it but I prefer affordable drills and run them till they smoke. Although if you treat them right they will last for years. I do Renovations for a living and the cheaper ones work fine for me.

Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm interested in these Mastercraft tools then!  I'm not familiar with them - I don't know why I don't see those in Texas.

2. Grant's World profile image82
      Grant's Worldposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hey Wes, Mastercraft can be found at Canadian Tire (obviously in Canada) and I thought that maybe they could be purchased at Sears as well. So maybe Sears is your best bet. My 20v is compact cordless and has a ton of power, I love it.

3. nightwork4 profile image61
    nightwork4posted 5 years ago

i don't have a specific brand that i use. dewalt has good tools but so do many other companies. i like mastercraft, millwakee and a couple of other brands but in the end it is like saying who makes the best car, it's all a matter of opinion.

Thanks!  I think I prefer the Milwaukee, but I'm going to look around some before I buy.  I don't need a big 18 volt...I really need one of the newer smaller ones that still have lots of torque.

4. sassydee profile image78
    sassydeeposted 5 years ago

in my experience DeWalt makes the best cordless drills, I love my drill!

I'm "in the market" for one.  DeWalt is a great product!

5. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 5 years ago

I don't know if they're available in the U S, but there's a German firm called Wolf who produce workmanlike power tools, and there's Makita (Japanese or Korean). Both sell well here.

Hey Alan!  I've never heard of the German one - but I'd bet it is outstanding.
      Makita has been here a long long time - but a lot of folks like the DeWalt or others ...as they seem to be heavier duty or.."better" than the Makita.

6. fatfist profile image78
    fatfistposted 5 years ago

You can't go wrong with DeWalt. I have over a dozen of their cordless tools. Shop around for the best deals. They do get cheaper when you buy them in the boxed sets. If you have extra batteries that you don't use, just wrap them in plastic and put them in the fridge to extend their life by many years.

Awesome tips!!!!!!!!!

7. JP993 profile image91
    JP993posted 5 years ago

Dewalt are great drills, the only thing is because they have such a distinctive look you have to be careful where you leave them.

Another Great make are Makita's, they constantly go one step ahead in their battery development.

I have quite a good video on one of my drill hubs where someone has come up with another use for a Dewalt drill.

Hey - I will check that out, and I will link to you in the one I'm building as well.
      You've also told me something I didn't know about Makita with the batteries!

8. IDONO profile image83
    IDONOposted 5 years ago

In the past, the company I worked for seemed to have good luck with Porter-Cable. Held up well with a lot of abuse. Parts were readily available locally and repair was relatively easy.

Yes!  I recently got to use one of theirs - I'd never heard of them before.  A superintendent on a job I was working loaned me his Porter Cable 18 volt drill - and it was fantastic.

2. IDONO profile image83
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I don't know what you are doing, but we were in HVAC. All overhead work. The 18 was pretty heavy, so we got 14.4 and they worked just as well and made your day much easier. Good luck.

3. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98

IDONO - I do HVAC and electrical.  I really need a seven to nine volt, and an 18 volt for myself smile

4. IDONO profile image83
      IDONOposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OK. I screwed up. We went to a 9.6 drill, not 14. My bad! We used a lot of Dewalt but replacement batteries cost almost as much as the drill. All of the foreign ones are junk. Bosch was fair. Back to Porter Cable.

working