jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the very least I can do to keep my house clean?

1. annebcampbell profile image76
    annebcampbellposted 5 years ago

What is the very least I can do to keep my house clean?

I work from home and am expected by my family to keep the house clean.  I hate cleaning, decorating, etc.  What is the very least I can do to keep my house, where three teenage boys and a spouse live with me, clean?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7463322_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Have them pitch in and help you. Dirty a dish wash a dish. Dirty a glass wash a glass. Make everyone be self sufficient. Put your foot down and let them know you are not a maid.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

I work from home also with three children (not teens yet thankfully). I don't too much mind cleaning but I do have short cuts. If the floors and kitchen counters are clean the whole house feels cleaner. I also only do laundry on 3 days a week with no weekends. If it doesn't get put in a basket it does NOT get washed. Even my two year old knows dirty clothes go in the basket, my husband on the other hand will leave clothes on the bathroom floor. They don't get washed until they go in the basket. Toilets get cleaned by the people using them. My boys (9 &7) clean their own toilet unless of course they get to a point where they never pee on the toilet, then I will clean it. I make some cleaning jobs easier by using vinegar. I can put a bowl of it in the microwave for 3 minutes while doing something else then it only takes 30 seconds or so to wipe it down. If you aren't going to enlist the family to help with cleaning just stick with the basics and the other stuff as you get time. Personally my husband does NO housework, but that's by option. My children on the other hand have chores.

4. NornsMercy profile image60
    NornsMercyposted 5 years ago

In my own home, I use the rule: if you're not using it, put it away where I can't see it. Having a designated area (preferably out of sight) helps to keep things straight and your mind and eyes won't get sore or confused. Try to minimize clutter or clutter-causing objects that confuse the eye such as stacks of magazines, DVDs, and knick-knacks. Put them behind closed doors or a curtain. Just arranging things in a room makes it look a million times cleaner, such as shoes, tucking in sheets, closing drawers, and standing pillows correctly on a couch.

I hope this helps. smile

5. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

If you are working whether at home or outside, why is it your job to keep things clean?  If they expect a clean house, then they need to participate in keeping it clean.  Assign a room each to the kids, and ask your husband for help.

Other than that do one room a day. Once things get clean, it only takes about 10 minutes a day to do that one room.  Bathrooms on Monday, Bedroom on Tuesday etc.

I just feel really bad that your family "expects" a clean house. You aren't a slave and a family is a partnership.  Put them to work :-)

working