jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How close can you plant your fruit bushes, vines, and trees, to your vegetable g

1. Novel Treasure profile image88
    Novel Treasureposted 5 years ago

How close can you plant your fruit bushes, vines, and trees, to your vegetable garden?

We have some small acreage and our planning our vegetable garden and fruit orchard. I have read conflicting information about planting fruit and vegetables too close together. Anyone have any real life experienc to share?

2. Ratatosk profile image57
    Ratatoskposted 5 years ago

You can plant them pretty close to each other. You can even mix them all and all of them will even grow much better. Each plant will help the others to grow. For example, if you plant vegies next to a tree, the trees root will pull water from the deep that the vegie need but never could get alone. And the vegie root produce some elements the tree badly need.
    Search for the Austrian Sepp Holzer and be impressed and inspired of what he did. It is amazing and you´ll love it.

3. Bumpsysmum profile image61
    Bumpsysmumposted 5 years ago

There are quite a few plants that will grow well under trees and, as Ratatosk said, will benefit each other;
    Winter onions (but not regular onions)
    Tomatoes, Irish potatoes, Broccoli, Oregano, Asparagus,Horseradish,Comfrey, Rhubarb.
    These are a few that will tolerate at least partial shade. My rhubarb and raspberries hardly get any sun and do very well indeed and they are under conifers!

4. LongTimeMother profile image97
    LongTimeMotherposted 4 years ago

That's a good question. I like to see a person planning before planting. Here's how I suggest you approach it.

First, decide where you want your orchard to be. That's where you create your first vege garden and start planting your trees. When your fruit trees eventually grow big enough to cause your veges grief, you just start a new vegetable garden somewhere else.

For about the first five years or more, you will find this is very convenient. You just have to water all the plants in one area, instead of having to get water to two areas when your veges and orchard are apart, plus you will find it easier to keep an eye out for problems and pests.

I've written quite a few hubs about organic gardening, fruit and veg etc. I hope you are taking the organic path. smile

1. Novel Treasure profile image88
      Novel Treasureposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That's a really good idea. I hadn't thought of that.