jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How is sharing an apartment lease with a boyfriend good or bad?

1. moiponetsoka profile image70
    moiponetsokaposted 4 years ago

How is sharing an apartment lease with a boyfriend good or bad?

2. itknol profile image81
    itknolposted 4 years ago

Not much experience on that, but to start the conversation...

Sounds great as long as you are OK with the idea that half of that apartment will be his aaand you are certain that you are in a healthy relationship.

By the way, now that I think about it, there should be one person the lease is signed for and if the name on the contract is yours then you can be calm possession-wise. In the future that is. And as for paying the lease... well, if you are confident that you can start a company with that person, then a lease will be no match for you:)

Measure his financial 'strength' so to say. I wouldn't share an apartment lease with my girl if she was a waitress or changing her job twice a year.

Not much, but from heart as people say. Hope this gets your mind in the right direction.

3. CroftRoan profile image83
    CroftRoanposted 4 years ago

I don't have a lot of experience with that but I have an idea of the pros and cons. First off, if you share a lease that means you both are equally responsible for the apartment. That includes rent and whatever utilities are attached as well as the upkeep of the space. The down side usually involves a break up. If the couple breaks up the question now falls on who keeps the apartment. Then you have to remove a name on the lease which may have a fee attached.
    If you have a good relationship/ end it on good terms, sharing a lease is a good idea.

4. angienichole profile image59
    angienicholeposted 4 years ago

Bad: One day this man may not want you and you're sitting there all alone with an apartment and probably some animals and YOU have to pay for your own stuff.
    Good: You can get some every night, You can love on your man, You may end up married. A lot of good stuff.

5. profile image0
    Justsilvieposted 4 years ago

I think it would depend how long you have been a couple and how smooth the relationship runs. And if the person one wants to share with is a mature, adult with a job and a history of responsible behavior.