jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What is the best non-toxic way to deal with squash bugs?

1. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

What is the best non-toxic way to deal with squash bugs?

Is there something that can deter or kill them that is not toxic? Anyone had any luck with anything organic against these little demons? I have been able to organically grow everything but zucchini because no matter what I do I end up with squash bugs.   The use of chemical pesticides for our family is not an option.

2. ThompsonPen profile image77
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

Onion water! Mash up some onions and let it sit in water for a day or so, and put the whole thing in a spray bottle (water and onion). They don't like the acidity

ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Awesome, I will try that next! Thanks smile

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Diatomaceous earth is another good option. Be sure to use the organic gardening grade rather than that for pool filters. smile

ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I use that for other critters and I love it, but it didn't work on the squash bugs for us. we must have bionic squash bugs or something lol

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know how the onion spray works. That was a great suggestion.

4. Act 3 profile image92
    Act 3posted 4 years ago

I have been most successful with "mechanical control." Keep an eye out for egg patches. They are often on the undersides of the leaves in groups of 6 - 12. The eggs are orange or brown and pinhead size. Tear off or cut out the part of the leaf with the eggs and destroy (smash) the eggs. If you are reasonably fast, you can also catch individual squash bugs. Last summer, I often caught 6 - 8 bugs each day. Then squash (ha ha) them with your shoe (on a firm surface) or your hands, if you're not queasy.

working