jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

How do you remove stains from tea cups?

1. thumbi7 profile image64
    thumbi7posted 4 years ago

How do you remove stains from tea cups?

My tea cup is tall. I find it difficult to scrub the bottom inside.

2. HeatherH104 profile image83
    HeatherH104posted 4 years ago

I've never tried it with tea stains, but vinegar is usually very good at removing stains. Let it sit then wipe it out. With tall glasses I use a (baby) bottle cleaner (looks like a sponge on long narrow "stick"). They are cheap and you can get them anywhere you can buy baby bottles. Good luck!

1. bethperry profile image91
      bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Excellent advice, HeatherH104. If the cup is really old, however, raw lemon juice with a little baby shampoo can be substituted, which is a little more gentle than vinegar (which can make the china finish brittle).

2. thumbi7 profile image64
      thumbi7posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I will try out lemon juice and baby shampoo. It  looks simple, Thanks for the suggestion.

3. Pamela N Red profile image87
    Pamela N Redposted 4 years ago

Baking soda and those dish scrubber usually works pretty good. If it is porcelain be careful you don't scratch the surface.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I don't want to scratch the surface of my tea cup. That is why I am hesitant to use bottle brushes.

4. daisyjae profile image79
    daisyjaeposted 4 years ago

I usually just spray it with bleach. Or scrub it with comet. You might just have to get a long skinny brush.

5. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

If I were you I would get a baby bottle brush (sells here in USA for $1) and use a 50/50 water vinegar solution. The great thing about a baby bottle brush is many of them have a sponge on the end which makes it easier to shape into something tall and skinny. It also makes for easier cleaning. We use one to clean all of our glasses and sports bottles.

Thanks for the suggestions. We do get baby bottle brushes here. But I have not seen one with a sponge on the end.

6. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I don't usually get stains in my cups but most of my glasses seem to hold the iced tea stain. I pour a little bleach in them and top it off with water. Usually you only have to let it sit for 10-15 minutes and the stain will be gone.

working