jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

What's the best way to remove stains from stainless steel?

1. innerspin profile image91
    innerspinposted 4 years ago

What's the best way to remove stains from stainless steel?

My son tends to leave food tins standing in the sink soaking, despite repeated requests not to do this. The bottom of the tins leave a black circle on the stainless steel. They are very stubborn stains. Any suggestions to help remove them gratefully received!

2. cat on a soapbox profile image98
    cat on a soapboxposted 4 years ago

Hello innerspin,
    I usually use an SOS pad or a  non-brasive cleanser like BonAmi on my SS sink ,but baking soda sometimes works too. Try to follow the grain" of the stainless steel when working the area. Start w/ the least abrasive or harsh solution first. I keep the finest grade steelwool on hand for my cook top and have used it with a stainless steel cleaner to remove tough residue around my burner plates. Wash well with hot soapy water afterwards. Good luck!

innerspinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, cat on a soapbox. Must say I avoid steelwool, it sets my teeth on edge. I'll try baking soda, not used that. I may get my son to do it......

2. cat on a soapbox profile image98
      cat on a soapboxposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome! smile

3. MikeNV profile image79
    MikeNVposted 4 years ago

Go to Walmart or other store and get a can or bottle of "Bar Keepers Friend".  It looks like any other cleanser but it will not damage glass or stainless steel.  It's Amazing and has been around for more than a 100 years.  Because they have not sold out to some Giant Mega Corp it can be a little harder to find.  And it's pretty cheap $2-$3.

In fact it's the recommended cleaner by All Clad (Some of the best and most expensive cookware you can purchase).

SOS, Comet, Bon Ami... will scratch your cookware, Barkeepers Friend will not.  It's in a Gold Colored Can.

Another very good product is Cerama Bright which you can get at Home Depot but it's about $7 a bottle.

Oh, that sounds good. Only problem is, I'm in the UK.! thanks for your reply.

4. IDONO profile image79
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

I can't help but think that if it stains, it's not really stainless steel. I mean, stainless steel is called stainless steel for a reason. That's why it's used in all institutional kitchens. Was this a trick question to snare the over-thinkers? Many people mistake aluminum for stainless steel such as kitchen sinks, etc. You can tell by the weight and the cost. They're not even close.

I used to think it didn't stain but a friend pointed out it's stain LESS not stain proof. Like saying a raincoat is water resistant, not water proof. The sink isn't aluminium, but I understand your response.

5. pranavm2 profile image59
    pranavm2posted 4 years ago

use salt lemon and sodium hydrogen carbonate(baking soda) to clean th sink.it will works

working