jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Can you identify this plant? It appears to be in the Verbena family, but could b

1. Diana Grant profile image94
    Diana Grantposted 3 years ago

Can you identify this plant? It appears to be in the Verbena family, but could be just a weed

I have quite a few of these plants in my garden, and, judging from the shape of the leaves, I thought they were going to develop into brightly colored verbena, either the short ones, or possibly the very tall spindly ones that bear small purple flowers.  I waited with great expectations until this week (mid-July), and all that has appeared is tiny little white flowers in the axils. The plants are quite bushy and healthy and I thought they had developed from plants which had self-seeded last year.

Maybe they have reverted from hybrid F1 plants?  My garden is in London - temperate climate.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9124658_f260.jpg

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 3 years ago

It's hard to tell from the photo. It does look like white vervain but the white flowers here look like a ring above each set of leaves- I'm stumped!

1. Diana Grant profile image94
      Diana Grantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Following on your comment, cat on a soapbox, I looked at lots of photos on Google, and it's definitely not white vervain, and maybe it isn't even verbena, although the leaves tell me it is!  I'm dying to know, so will take it to local garden centre

2. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The flower leads me to the laminacea family which is similar to verbena.

3. Diana Grant profile image94
      Diana Grantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

\you were right cat on a soapbox when you contacted me and said it's gypsywort or lycopus europaeus. How disappointing to find it's a weed, and not a type of verbena after all

4. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Although not as showy as a verbena and a bit invasive, it is a nice pollinator attractant  and has an interesting history as a dye and medicinal herb smile

working