Is your household 'Green' today and how has life changed because of that?
For instance the city provides for us here where I live three bins for waste - normal waste, recyclable waste, and Green waste meaning landscape (some communities use that for table scraps too) Today I fill up the recyclable waste bin much more while the normal waste is far less. I do not use that for aluminum and plastic bottles because I turn those in for cash. I check every food container for the recycle symbol to determine how to dispose of it. Some communities have a separate bin for table scraps too.
Similarly here in Canada the city where I live, we too have 3 kinds of waste to categorize and drop. Normal waste, paper waste , plastic/ metal/container waste. I like such a recyclable concepts which helps in re-use of the recyclable waste. Thanks to the process & technology found by the people. Definitely its one good thing humanity doing good to the nature or mother earth.
I'm not sure how much of this is being green, and how much of it is just fallout from how I live my life, but here goes:
* I compost all my food waste. Since I'm vegan, almost all waste from the kitchen goes onto the compost pile, which eventually is turned into the soil for the vegetable garden.
* I grow vegetables using water-wise methods, growing varieties that do well in my area. For example, smaller varieties of tomatoes take less watering, and produce more for a longer period in my area's hot, dry climate than larger ones, so I grow cherry tomatoes.
* I use the containers from our vegan butter substitute to sprout seeds and grow seedlings. When the seedlings are ready to plant in the garden, the containers go to the recycle bin.
* Cardboard boxes get broken down into long strips, which are used under pavers for garden paths. They keep the weeds down, and decay well. Once a year, I pull up any paths that are getting weedy, replace the cardboard, and throw the pavers back down.
* I buy in bulk, and reuse the packaging. Anything bought in bulk in a plastic bag goes into a glass container when it gets home, and the bag is used for paper trash in the kitchen. Most of the glass containers are old mayo or peanut butter jars, with Mason jar lids.
* If there's any trash left after all that, it gets sorted and recycled. I put trash out maybe once a month, compared to my neighbors' twice a week. I just don't have much to throw out.
Wow! That is being 'Green'. I see an article in there somewhere. I don't have enough land to composite. My gardens are small & native drought tolerant plants to Calif. I like the cardboard idea for the pavers! Hooray on how much trash you put out
Oh, that's another one: I tore out the lawn in the front, and replaced it with native plants. I never water out there.
I live in a small town but people are finally catching on. There are recycle bins in town at a business. We try to do our part even with use traveling a lot.
A lot has changed. I am proud to say our family has become healthier and livelier because of green living. We have a garden at home and it's great! We are also able to save money rather than you know, buying fruits and veggies.
by Tiago Damião3 years ago
Do you have any animal? What is the feeling of have one? Did your life changed by having one?
by Ana Kennedy7 years ago
As a empty nest neophyte, I'd like to hear about how people view their changing lives after the kids fly away. Your relationship with your spouse, yourself, your grown kids....your perception of time, and your feelings...
by Robin Grosswirth5 years ago
How has your life changed as a result of pursuing writing on hubpages?
by Rob Welsh6 years ago
How has your life changed in the last Five Years?Have those changes been positive or negative to you?
by Tim Mitchell22 months ago
Does the trend of home waste disposal indicate society has learned to recycle? Is there value?Over the last year I noticed I take my recycle waste bin to the street every week. I take my trash / garbage bin about every...
by Elvisa M23 months ago
How has your life changed for the better since Obama took to office?Has your life in ANY way improved in this 8 years? If so, how?
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.