Wooden floors or tiles

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (29 posts)
  1. easyguyevo profile image70
    easyguyevoposted 13 years ago

OR CARPET.

Which is the best to get?

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

tile is nice. there is also nice laminate.

carpet catches too many allergens.

easyguyevoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

o ok

3. 6hotfingers3 profile image61
    6hotfingers3posted 13 years ago

My preference is wooden floors and especially the laminate wood look floors. They are warm to the feet in winter and cool in the summer. They bring life to the room and look inviting and comfortable. They require little care and will shine with a clean damp mop wipe over. You can't say any of that with tile floors. I would be limited with tile floors. Wooden laminate floors look good in formal or informal settings and are very versatile.

4. hubzer profile image60
    hubzerposted 13 years ago

Wood is good.

ok

5. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Wood, if it is a general living area or a bedroom. We have mostly wood, with tiles in the kitchen. The tiles are freezing to stand on in winter - I wouldn't want them all over the house. Plus, everything delicate that has ever been dropped on them smashes into smithereens, whereas on the wood floors most things bounce.

Good wooden floors should last for years, whereas carpets do not stay looking good for long, plus they are harder to clean.

O thanks, but are they any better alternatives instead of the four mentioned.

6. Moonchild60 profile image74
    Moonchild60posted 13 years ago

I love wood, particularly dark wood.  Tiles are cold.  Wood adds warmth and makes a home cozy.  That having been said, tiles are also functional, often best in say an outdoor room or foyer.  Wood floors require more care.  Where I live I have to worry about sand being ground into my wood floors.  So circumstances do vary which must come into play when deciding.  Good luck!!

Yea tiles are very cold. I remember getting up in the morning and actually getting an instant belly ache!

7. kids-toy-box profile image70
    kids-toy-boxposted 13 years ago

I would recommend wood, but the choice will depend on a few factors including your lifestyle,
    1. The use of the space:-Wooden floors are better aucostic material..so if you plan to use it for music or entertainment wood is better
    2. Size of the room which will have an effect on the cost of the material you choose. Depends on the type or style you choose there could be price differnecs for both tiles and Wood
    3. Tiles are generally easier to clean but are not very cosy.

Hope this helps.

8. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 13 years ago

I would always say no to carpets, especially wall to wall carpeting.  They are difficult to keep clean, especially if you have children or pets.  My main objection though, focuses on health.  Carpets are a haven for dust mites -  get rid of the carpets - get rid of asthma and other allergy related conditions.  Tiles can have under floor heating to stop that foot aching cold and wood naturally takes on an ambient temperature.  If you must have floor coverings, go for rugs which can be taken outside and beaten.  It's great exercise, a stress buster, in fact a work out for mind and body!

9. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I would say solid wood, and I currently have about 19 square metres of the stuff stacked in my bedroom waiting for somebody to fit it in my lounge.

I would say however that you should be very careful when buying. If you are buying a solid oak floor then you should really be looking at buying planks which are at least 18mm thick. Otherwise your run the risk of bowing or splitting and you will soon find yourself replacing.

Some cheaper wood alternatives can be bought a little thinner, Parawood is a good alternative and very hard wearing - 15mm Parawood should suffice. I wouldn't recommend Bamboo flooring - scratches, dents, and marks far too easily. I wouldn't recommend veneered flooring either, as you generally cant extend the life through sanding. Getting a wood floor which can be sanded 3, 4, or even 5 times in its lifetime will make it a fantastic investment. Real wood top layer flooring can be OK, but you are looking at getting just 1 or 2 opportunities to sand down in the future if opting for this.

I have read a lot about wooden floors over the past 6 weeks, maybe I should be writing a hubpage on this lol

Spending $5 extra per square metre can be the difference between a beautiful long-lasting floor and something which will be lucky to last a decade. I can't wait to get mine laid, it looks fantastic.

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

we have something in common!  I have 5 tonnes of oak stacked in my kitchen.  It's French oak, reclaimed from a massive storm a few years ago.  We agonised for ages about whether to have solid throughout the house or whether to use engineered oak in areas like the bathroom and corridor of the renovation.  We've gone for a mix depending on use, and are using the veneered in areas where the movement of the chestnut beams may be a problem and solid where ever we can get away with it.  The veneer is much thicker than most engineered floor boards and will stand sanding.  The difficult thing was sourcing the material because as you say, most veneered flooring is so thin that it's a waste of money.  Make sure you get some knee protectors, the price you pay for laying your beautiful floor is a limp like Long John Silver!

Sounds like a very warm homey feeling, almost like a fantasy!

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Engineered hardwood floors! Inexpensive and durable, with the look and warmth of real wood. I especially like the wide planks.

11. GmaGoldie profile image82
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Habee has nailed it!  She is absolutely correct!  Oh, the wide planks are very neat!

12. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Why, thank you, Goldie!

13. Song-Bird profile image69
    Song-Birdposted 13 years ago

I love wood flooring!  The warm tone cozies up a room.  I especially like Brazilian Cherry.  Tile floors are great though for bathrooms or mudrooms.  We put radiant floor heating under our tile which is wonderful in the cold months!  Wood is quite durable but tile is better for areas that are more likely to get wet.

14. telltale profile image60
    telltaleposted 13 years ago

Wooden floors are great in feel and to look at, but I dread the maintenance portion of it, and living in an area with a fear for termites, that would point to disastrous.  Changed my wooden floors to tiles - lesser worries and maintenance need to be done now.

cool

15. HomeInsights profile image61
    HomeInsightsposted 13 years ago

Carpet if you don't live in a hot climate and marble if you do smile

1. Teddletonmr profile image69
      Teddletonmrposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Carpet, tile and hardwood flooring all have their place. Carpet has a nice feel to it, but is impossible to keep clean.
      Tile holds up well in kitchens and bathrooms, just take care not to drop anything breakable, it will shatter when it hits the floor, as someone mentioned earlier.
      Hardwood floor has a warmth and look that is great. Mixing all three may be something worth reconsideration, or not. I thank life is too short to live with something you do not feel good living with.

16. profile image0
    L a d y f a c eposted 13 years ago

There's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. Ryankett made a pretty solid case. My vote depends on the room, but I've always gone with Armstrong flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms, and hardwood everywhere else. If I want to cozy, fuzzy on my feet I get an area rug. Carpets are harder to maintain, wear easily and annoying to fix. Hardwood, 50 years from now can be sanded down and refinished, and look brand new. I like laminate, but quality means a lot with laminate. If you're not careful you'll end up with boards whose tops start to lift as soon as water hits them (spills and whatnot), are hard to get clean as they constantly look streaky and can also be quite cold. Really good laminate is nice though.

So. Armstrong flooring and hardwood!

17. pilesnoway profile image60
    pilesnowayposted 13 years ago

wood here.

18. caycoltken profile image61
    caycoltkenposted 13 years ago

Depends on your budjet. Some carpet will be the cheapest
    if money isnt a issue :

living room or den dining room- wood
      kitchen -bathroom - tile

19. VivianTan profile image59
    VivianTanposted 12 years ago

I think that Wood Flooring is much better then carpet. Wood flooring is much easier to maintain compare to carpets, as carpet easily trap dust and germs.

20. profile image53
    coastalgirl12posted 12 years ago

If taken care of properly, wood flooring will last and look beautiful forever.  Carpet will certainly wear over time and tile can be very cold and painful to stand on for long periods of time.  Just my 2 cents.

21. profile image56
    dynamiclevels4posted 11 years ago

Wooden floor would be best in my point of view. If polished and maintained on a regular basis it can look attractive and it will definitely be long lasting. Tiles are also good but after a while if marble is broken then it can be dangerous at least if there are children in home. Marble is no doubt attractive and can give a good looking image but it should be maintained properly then.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)