- Home Furnishings
Solid oak desks
When you think of desks for your home or office, what generally comes to mind? Does anything come to mind? Many of us take things like office furniture for granted. I know I used to, but I don't any longer.
Nothing accentuates a home office more elegantly than the perfect desk, and in this case a solid oak desk. Now, I've gone through my fair share of desks in my 42+ years on this planet, and I can say without hesitation that my favorite, by far, has been a...
* All orders processed through Amazon for complete customer satisfaction
When it comes to craftsmanship and overall quality in home furnishings, there isn't much that can beat the elegance and functionality of oak built furniture. The strength of oak alone makes it the perfect wood for crafting solid oak desks and other price pieces for your furniture collection.
A brief introduction to the wonderful world of oak and oak products:
Oak is a tree or shrub that is classified in the Quercus genus, and is comprised of no less than 400 species located over the surface of the Earth. The Quercus genus is native to the Northern Hemisphere and includes evergreen and deciduous varietals.
Because of the natural high tannin levels of oak, the wood is naturally resistant to fungal attacks. Oak is also very strong in nature, thus making it perfect for use in furniture applications. This according to various wikis located online.
Get published with Hubpages
- Hubpages - so easy a caveman can do it
Getting started with hubpages is so darn easy, why even a caveman could do it. Sorry for the blatantly obvious pop culture reference, but it truly is a fact.
What is your favorite desk made of?
What kind of desk do you currently have in your home? In your office? Do you even know what your desk is made of? As I mentioned earlier in the piece, the attention to detail that require us to know the answers to questions about our household furniture can often escape even the most detail oriented person.
For years I took this stuff for granted. My idea of a good quality desk was an 8 or 10 foot banquet table with a cloth over it to hide the imperfections. When I lived in New York City, my desk was a creaky old door propped up on two saw-horses I lifted off the street one night. In Vegas, my desk was another door, not as solid as the one in NYC, that rested on tow hutches on either side.
Those days are long gone, but the memories are kinda coll to hang onto. While I miss those eclectic pieces, I know for a fact that I will never go back to living that totally minimalistic, ghetto lifestyle. I still live a semi-minimalistic life, just not to the extremes I once did.
So, what were my main considerations when I went searching for a REAL desk for my home office?
- Price - Price is always a consideration for me, because my minimalist lifestyle often bleeds into my professional life as well, and that don't pay so good if ya know what I mean. I've always held to the belief that a job was just a means to a paycheck end, and that there was always more to a person than what they did for a living
- Size- Contrary to what most guys will have you believe, size is definitely important, especially when it comes to fitting furniture into your abode. I typically live in smaller places, again going back to the lifestyle I've been cultivating for the majority of my adult life. The desk I eventually went with fit just perfectly into my life
- Materials - Just because you're on my solid oak desk page doesn't mean I'll be pushing you in that direction. Choosing the right materials to have your desk made out of is a largely personal decision and one that should not be handled lightly
- Convenience - Do you move a lot? I do, and when it's time to pick up and go again, It's nice to know that my desk will be easy for me to move. If your lifestyle is a bit more sedentary, then it doesn't matter how convenient it would be for you to move it
- Functionality - Just what kind of features do you require for your home office desk? My desk is a simple flat surface, but there are no limits to the amount of shelving and other knick-knacky things you can add to a desk to increase its functionality
- Uses - Will you be using your desk to hold papers, or are you looking for a solid oak computer desk for home office use. Solid oak computer desks offer a lot of flexibility for the home user and are quite a popular option amongst owners
Solid oak roll top desks are also quite a popular choice for homeowners who prefer a closed desk option. Roll top desks allow for a certain degree of privacy when it comes to keeping bills and legal papers tucked away.
For something as seemingly innocuous as a desk for your home, there certainly are a number of factors that need to be considered before making any serious purchase. Otherwise, you may as well just throw some plywood onto a couple of saw-horses and call it a day.
Regardless of which direction you find yourself heading, there truly is the perfect desk out there to suit your needs...