jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Just shacked up, both employed, how do you share the household bills and shoppin

1. stricktlydating profile image81
    stricktlydatingposted 8 years ago

Just shacked up, both employed, how do you share the household bills and shopping?

Do you split everyting straight down the middle in a new relationship when you're living together? Or does one pay the phone bill, the other the shopping bill etc? When both the man and women are working full time.

2. profile image0
    Pachuca213posted 8 years ago

I think if you aren't married everything should be 50/50 unless the guy is totally generous and says he wants to pay for most of it...but Legally as long as you are on the rental agreement or lease you are only required to pay half if you are considered roomates (rent;utilities). Now food on the other hand, you may be responsible for your own, and he his....but thats my take on it.

I am married so my hubby pays rent, food and his own bills. I pay the Utilities, Cable, Phone, Internet, Insurance and my own bills...so it works out pretty nice! But like I said everyone does it different.

3. dallaswriter profile image61
    dallaswriterposted 6 years ago

50/50 it is. Now if down the road children are involved or you get married, job status change and such, I would revisit it. Because living together in my opinion (just my opinion, no stone throwing please) means you are on a trial basis. (I did this myself) then if marriage comes into it or kids, things change anyway and often the scales can become unbalanced. Something to revisit another time:)

4. saddlerider1 profile image69
    saddlerider1posted 6 years ago

Most definitely 50/50 unless one is financially better off and wants to take care of all the expenses. However this could cause a problem to as the other party may feel at a disadvantage. Many times one partner supports the other through school to finish off their degree and when he/she finishes up will contribute back to the relationship. Overall, I believe 50/50 works out the best or some kind of sharing or splitting of expenses.

working