jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Not sure what to do?

1. Syrusv37 profile image87
    Syrusv37posted 7 years ago

Not sure what to do?

I VERY recently got my first credit card and have been making payments and keeping up with it to build my credit. However, I got a letter in the mail stating that I've been denied a credit card from Fingerhut, a place I know a hundred percent I DID NOT apply to. It seems strange, what do I do? I'm still pretty naive with the whole credit scene.

2. Michele Goudie profile image72
    Michele Goudieposted 7 years ago

It's possible you're a victim of identity theft.  Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and get your file.  Print off a copy.  Look for any activity that is suspicious and start reporting it. You need to get proactive now to stop it from getting any worse. 

If there is fraudulent activity, you need to report it to the credit bureaus.  This information is in the FAQ on the aforementioned website.  Contact your bank as well if you have checking/savings accounts.  Also contact Fingerhut to see what information they'll give you.

3. Seafarer Mama profile image88
    Seafarer Mamaposted 7 years ago

I agree with Michele. Contacting Fingerhut may be a good first step.

Since a bunch of credit inquiries to each of the credit bureaus can hurt your chances of obtaining credit for a big purchase, such as a car or house, it may be best to contact places like TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian to find out what you can do to protect yourself against identity theft. Perhaps they will allow you to place a fraud alert on your accounts with them. Shop around for the cheapest way to do this, but perhaps a simple alert may be free the first time. I have forgot what the third agency is...but the others may tell you. The best defense is an effective offense when it comes to identity theft!  Best of luck!

4. lilibees profile image61
    lilibeesposted 7 years ago

Identity theft sounds like what happened. I too have had such problems and I printed out my credit report and found several issues that were not mine. In fact my ex husbands wife has the same exact name as me and not her fault her credit things were being put on my credit report.