jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Top 5 Investment tips for 2012

1. gamergirl profile image59
    gamergirlposted 6 years ago

Top 5 Investment tips for 2012

2. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

Tough question. All I can say is what I do.

Read
    Write
    Math
    Ask Questions
    Take calculated risks

3. Ralph Deeds profile image62
    Ralph Deedsposted 6 years ago

The top tip for 2012 is the same as for 2011, 2010 and so forth: buy and hold several no load, low cost, tax efficient index mutual funds like those offered by Vanguard. You don't need to buy more than two or three funds: Index 500, Total International, Small Cap to get good diversification. Picking stocks is a loser's game. Ordinary investors are at the bottom of the food chain--the last to get the good news and the last to get the bad news.

4. Mark C Middleton profile image63
    Mark C Middletonposted 6 years ago

Do not buy Mutual Funds. There are fees limitations selling restrictions. Alternatively, consider Exchange Traded Funds (ETF's), although they have many advantages over Mutual Funds, normally not a buy and hold investment. In this low interest rate environment, on dramatic market downturns, investors have a herd mentality and sell the bad AND the good.  During those times, find good quality dividend stocks that provide a return of 3% to 6% AND diversify.  These stocks will typically be the utilities, pharmaceuticals, energy and telecommunications.  I have been utilizing this strategy for the last few years and getting about a 16% growth rate on stocks IN ADDITION TO and average of 5.25% annual dividend return. Check some of the following ticker symbols: VZ, T, CNP, NI, BMY LLY, DUK, WR, EXC, NYB, PFE.  You will recognize many of the names. Look for a Company with a good dividend yield, a long history of dividend payment and income in excess of the dividend.  DISCLAIMER - This is what I do and what has worked for me but is not to be taken as investment advice.  Seek qualified assistance to evaluate your own specific needs.

working