jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are some of the things you do to save you money?

1. LoveJewel profile image61
    LoveJewelposted 6 years ago

What are some of the things you do to save you money?

2. Blond Logic profile image98
    Blond Logicposted 6 years ago

We tend to stay at home and cook instead of going out.
    When we go out, we often think, "We could have cooked that better."

3. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

Basically, I've become a total bore and never go out anymore.  I can't afford to dine out.  I also can't afford fun activities I once enjoyed like going to the movies, concerts, or even bowling.  I also stay in and clip a lot of coupons.  I rarely buy books anymore; I either get them at the library or I don't get to read them at all.

4. Jonesy0311 profile image59
    Jonesy0311posted 6 years ago

The biggest money-saver for me is that my wife and I no longer go out to eat for dinner and cook at home instead. If we eat out, it is only for lunch and we usually share something. Also, neither of us has a car payment, because, well, it just makes sense. I traded my 13mpg truck for a 30mpg car about three years ago. no more payments, no more worrying about gas prices. I also switched jobs (comporable pay). My daily commute is now 3 miles as opposed to 20 miles. I rarely ever buy new clothes and there is no reason to shop anywhere more expensive than Goodwill or Wal Mart. The only thing I will spend good money on is a pair of work boots. We also got rid of all of our credit cards, except for one which I maitain total control of. It's amazing how much money you don't spend when you don't have superfluous credit cards.

5. ithabise profile image86
    ithabiseposted 6 years ago

I don't use all the digital household things, like clocks and all, because they soak up energy. I use CFL bulbs instead of incandescent ones (major savings). I am conservative with the flush--yes--and thereby follow an adage I'll allow you to find somewhere on the internet yourself (lol). I don't use a TV but the internet for all my viewing, saving all that ferocious cable expense and electricity. I use cold water mostly and hot water when most necessary. I use natural light when possible and keep the lights turned off. I drive a hybrid and love 60 mpg. Now if I can only collect rainwater!

6. gabgirl12 profile image80
    gabgirl12posted 6 years ago

I don't eat out much. I don't turn on many lights at night and I sleep early. When you go out walking you drink more water and want to eat less or drink less beverages. When I find money I put it in a jar. Another thing thats useful is coupons, but you have to be diligent with them and keep them together. And always use them. Sometimes this takes a bit of discipline but it helps in the long run. And if I dont have a coupon for the name brands, I buy the cheaper brand. Paying your bills early also saves you money as you dont have to worry about late fees. And if you are eager to get something that takes you a long time to pay off, try to negotiate with the collector  that you owe. There are options out there to help you pay off long term bills, like loans and credit cards. Debts are difficult and debt collectors calling is a pain in the neck. So its important to get help and get rid of the bills instead of paying as you can.

7. danielleantosz profile image75
    danielleantoszposted 6 years ago

I use my AC/heat as little as possible and wait as late in the season as possible to turn it on.  I buy almost all my clothes and household items at thrift stores or retail outlet stores.  I shop sales and do not buy red meat very often.  I don't eat out much, and when I go out for drinks I drink cheap and look for specials!

8. jacqui2011 profile image83
    jacqui2011posted 6 years ago

I don't go out as often as I used to. We grow as much of our own fruit and veg as we can. Our electric company sent us out a free meter which tells you where you are wasting electric. With three computers usually all in standby mode, it is amazing how much money can be saved by completely switching them off. I try not to have the heating on all day, only when it is needed, but the UK weather is so cold most of the time.

working