jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When do you usually begin to work on your income tax return?

1. Nancy Owens profile image95
    Nancy Owensposted 6 years ago

When do you usually begin to work on your income tax return?

Do you wait until the last minute? Do you have everything ready on January 1st?

2. Kris Heeter profile image80
    Kris Heeterposted 6 years ago

I begin preparing stuff around mid-January

3. profile image0
    Linda Myshrallposted 6 years ago

I work on them all year long.  smile

Since I am self-employed, I make estimated quarterly income tax payments based on what I think my income for the year will be.  I keep an up to date set of books so that I can evaluate such things as advertising campaigns, cash flow, etc., but this practice also allows me to regularly assess my income and make adjustments to my quarterly estimates. 

I am never able to file on January 1, because I am dependant on tax documents from customers, etc. which have later deadlines, but when those deadlines have passed (ie: 1099 filings, etc.) I'm ready to go!

An interesting question-  I take it this is where your energies are right now smile

4. keithlipke profile image59
    keithlipkeposted 6 years ago

I don't have big taxes, so whenever my W2 comes through

5. DowntroddenInDC profile image84
    DowntroddenInDCposted 6 years ago

I start working on my taxes the last trading day of that fiscal year. Got to make sure I'm in or out of positions for the end of that trading year.

As for the physical files, I've already estimated all my capital gains, dividends and interest payments and w-2 earnings. I track that stuff throughout the year on a spreadsheet, so I don't have any surprises (either a windfall with a return or a massive amount of tax due - although I prefer the windfall). I use the IRS's Withholding calculator and double check it throughout the year (Site : http://www.irs.gov/individuals/page/0,,id=14806,00.html - for 2012!)

I try to minimize overpaying my taxes throughout the year from my earned income, but want to make sure I'm paying enough taxes to cover my other forms of income. I also throttle my 401k contributions (by increasing them) to lower taxable income if I get too close to a bracket (and can afford to do that).

I normally have every complete and together the first week the IRS starts accepting returns. Which looks like it will be Feb 15th this year, since that's the last day institutions have to get you tax paperwork.

Hope that helps!~

6. Millionaire Tips profile image93
    Millionaire Tipsposted 6 years ago

I do my taxes early as well - as soon as I get all my W-2s and 1099s, I am good to go.  I want my refund in my hands as quick as possible.  If I have to pay, I have time to get my money together.

7. bruzzbuzz profile image60
    bruzzbuzzposted 6 years ago

I work on my taxes as soon as I get my W2 forms at the end of January.

8. Sangeeta Gurung profile image60
    Sangeeta Gurungposted 6 years ago

Normally once a year at the end of the financial year in spring time....Sangeeta