jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the first financial step to take to pay for college?

1. keithlipke profile image60
    keithlipkeposted 6 years ago

What is the first financial step to take to pay for college?

I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions...

2. cobrien profile image76
    cobrienposted 6 years ago

Apply for federal and state grants and scholarships if there is no college fund. You can start a college fund for a child by opening up a childs' savings account or purchasing savings bonds. They increase in value over time.

3. moonfairy profile image78
    moonfairyposted 6 years ago

when my son was young I set up an investment account and added to it every month so that by the time he went to college the account had grown considerably.
    The investment firm is now owned by Wells-Fargo and I was really pleased with how they invested the money.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

Select an affordable college, where the student can live at home and have a short commute. This is a critical but rarely considered issue. If the student has to live in a dorm, far from home, this adds unnecessary cost to their education.
    Picking the expensive school because it has more "atmosphere" or more cachet is ridiculous. Unless it is an Ivy League in a degree where Ivy League actually matters, it is better to go to a state school or community college and get good grades AND not have tons of student loan debt.

5. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 5 years ago

Fill out your FAFSA!  Although, long before that you probably want to be saving up money.

working