jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

How do you feel about your work being copied?

1. North Wind profile image83
    North Windposted 5 years ago

How do you feel about your work being copied?

How do you feel when you see your work copied word for word and printed under another person's name? Does it bother you? Do you think it is fair?

2. LucidDreams profile image71
    LucidDreamsposted 5 years ago

It has happened just a couple of times to my knowledge. I dont like it but the world is not fair....Guess that means that somebody saw fit to copy something I had created which is kinda cool but not!

I especially do not like when copied work ranks higher then the original work....that's not right at all!

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

It is not only unfair it is theft.  If you find your work on another site without your permission take action on it.  Do a "whois" search and find out if you can determine who is hosting their website and contact them.  Many times you can get the content removed and in some cases the site will be taken down.  I have filed cease and desist letters with website owners before and gone to the web host. You can even file a complaint with google and possibly have the offending site unlisted.  Fortunately I have had good results with this and my content has been immediately removed.

4. smokingcupcake profile image73
    smokingcupcakeposted 5 years ago

You can also contact Google. If the site uses Adsense, Google goes after it pretty hardcore. I had a few Suite 101 articles stolen and posted on another site, as did some other writers. Many of us contacted Google and a few days later, the site was down.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

How did you find out that your work was copied?

6. North Wind profile image83
    North Windposted 5 years ago

Sometimes you get a heads-up from someone who recognizes your work or sometimes in the forums there will be a thread about a scraper. When people mention a scraper it is always best to check out the website to see if any of your work is there. I know there is a program called copyscape that can help you to find out if your work is copied. What I do is simply search for some keywords in my article on the search engines and then I know if it has been copied or not on another website.