jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Dorm or Apartment for college student?

1. Kaylynndewane profile image58
    Kaylynndewaneposted 5 years ago

Dorm or Apartment for college student?

Basically I will be living on my own soon and I have to choose either a dorm or an apartment. If I get a dorm I dont have to worry about driving/gas/food. I will also have to take out a loan to pay for the dorm and all the plans for it. I also hate living with people I dont know and I will be homeless during the summer. If I get an apartment I will have a lot more bills, I will have to drive my roomate to work and possibly pick him up while I work and go to school. The only thing is I will have a year round roof over my head and I will still have to take out loans. What do I do?

2. Cassie Smith profile image68
    Cassie Smithposted 5 years ago

If it was my first year at school, I'd pick the dorm option.  It's a lot easier to get to know more people and get involved in campus life and have the campus experience, unknown roommate and all.

3. Stush profile image69
    Stushposted 5 years ago

Housing is probably the biggest decision you will have to make concerning post secondary education (other than your field of study - of course.) read more

4. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 5 years ago

I think there are two points to consider: experience and money. Apartment living is more like real life, so has some value, but there really is nothing like living in a dorm, and you only have the short opportunity to do so. It can be freaky, and the unknown roommate thing is weird, but generally that works out just fine. While dorm living can be distracting it can also help you focus. I made a friend my first semester with whom I used to study every night. There's no way we would have been that focused without each other's support.

I wouldn't worry too much about the summer. A lot can happen in two semesters of college. You might find an internship, volunteer, or study-abroad opportunity. Or you might make a friend with a house in the Bahamas who wants you to come stay with her for the summer. You never know, and if you do end up needing an apartment, there will usually be students with the opposite problem--they will be looking to get rid of apartments for the summer and looking to sublet them. These can often be pretty good deals.

The other issue is money. People who haven't lived on their own often underestimate the costs. You should really put together a budget. It will include rent, utilities (including internet, cable, and phone), as well as food. Food can be a big expense for someone not used to shopping and cooking on their own. If you end up eating out a lot, it is pretty easy to spend $10/day which ends up as $300/month. All in all, it isn't unreasonable to expect to pay $800-$1000/month on an apartment. I don't know what dorms are up to these days but they used to be much cheaper than that.

1. Kaylynndewane profile image58
      Kaylynndewaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This was really helpful for me, so thank you. Though the thought of being homeless during 3-4 months is still very scary.

2. junkseller profile image84
      junksellerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Check with your school. Some of them offer summer housing options. I always liked being on campus during the summer--much less hectic.

5. nochance profile image92
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Living in a dorm is a really great experience and this is the only time in your life where you have that option. Personally I think the loan is worth it.

Make yourself a detailed list of pros and cons, everything you can think of.