jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the solutions if one is an impulsive buyer?

1. alexandriaruthk profile image75
    alexandriaruthkposted 5 years ago

What are the solutions if one is an impulsive buyer?

Some people are impulsive buyers and they often regret later on when they check the price and they can get it cheaper elsewhere.

What are your suggestions for an impulsive buyer?

2. sethpowers profile image69
    sethpowersposted 5 years ago

Stop carrying around money with you. If you don't have credit cards or cash you can't use them. If you are worried about emergencies, keep a limited amount of cash on you. Once it's gone, it's gone. After a week or so you will realize that you can get by without the things you thought you needed and laugh at how much money you threw down the drain.

3. nochance profile image90
    nochanceposted 5 years ago

Tell yourself if it's still there in a week you can get it. Sometimes the impulse will fade after a little time away from the item.

Tell yourself that in order to get this item you have to donate an item of equal value that you already own.

I used to be an impulse buyer but after having to move from home to college and back and forth I stopped buying things because it wasn't worth having to move it.

4. dennis.cherenkov profile image72
    dennis.cherenkovposted 5 years ago

One of the best ways that I know of to not buy something on impulse is to wait overnight before making a decision.  This is especially necessary when a "big" purchase is involved (big can even be at $100 for some).  All too often we get emotionally married to something and try to logically rationalize our impulse behavior. Therefore sometimes you just need to distance yourself and wait overnight.

Also in order to be more thoughtful of your buying decisions you should use cash, the green paper stuff, instead of plastic.  Studies have shown that when you actually spend cash you spend less.

working