jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

How would you invest a million dollars?

1. greeneryday profile image79
    greenerydayposted 5 years ago

How would you invest a million dollars?

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

Go safe, In this economy, I would put it in savings and draw the interest. Also buy Municipal bonds and US bonds.

3. tipstoretireearly profile image84
    tipstoretireearlyposted 5 years ago

I would buy a broadly-diversified mutual fund or exchange-traded fund with low fees.  A good choice would be the Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (VTI).  That single ETF investment would provide exposure to the entire U.S. stock market with an extremely low expense ratio of only 0.06%.

4. Russell-D profile image83
    Russell-Dposted 5 years ago

$250,000 in 5% - 6% dividend paying stocks like ATT. $250,000 in a company you respect and an industry you absolutely know. If you don't know it, don't invest in it. World beers and Coca Cola and Pepsi are steady investment returns yearly. $250,000 in investments around the world. Germany is safe. Buy the best selling beer, the top communication company. Visit a country before you invest, stay long enough to learn the stock market pattern. Only in stable countries. Invest in the 2 top hotels in the new Cuban resorts. Pick a great subsidized airline like Lufthansa. Keep $250,000 available to satisfy your own pleasures. Give $100,000 - 150,000 to a worthy relative's university costs. What's left give to the charity, museum, orchestra of your choice.  Depending on your age, the older you are, the more selfish you should become. Live Rich.   David Russell

5. StocksDoc profile image54
    StocksDocposted 5 years ago

Split into tenths: $100,000 each UNIT.
    Use ETFs as they are much less costly and usually more liquid.
    1 unit in Asian Growth
    1 unit in Asian Value
    1 unit in European Growth
    1 unit in European Value
    1 unit in USA Growth
    1 unit in USA Value
    1 unit in Emerging Markets
    Learn and understand basic Technical Analysis of Stock Charts . . .
    then Swing Trade from your watch-list of good Fundamental,Technical, and Seasonal Stocks .. like from the list put out each week by http://www.blashing.com.
    Trade 3 units doing this.
    AND .. relax.

6. SoaresJCSL profile image75
    SoaresJCSLposted 5 years ago

Where and how to invest a million dollars? - When you invest a million dollars or a hundred dollars, the principles are the same. read more

7. Tom Fitzgerald profile image67
    Tom Fitzgeraldposted 5 years ago

Since I am a less than conservative investor, I would invest about half of it in a small cap mutual fund and the rest of it I would use to purchase a small apartment complex.  Once I was in the position to continue to real estate investments, I would expand into larger apartment complexes.  I believe because of all of the issues homeowners and homeownership has caused over the last few years, good apartment rentals will be in demand for quite some time.

8. jamesrcooper profile image82
    jamesrcooperposted 5 years ago

A Great Annuity, all the way! A 5% annual guarantee= $50,000 per year without ever touching the principal. It would be like having a $50k salary a year for life. I would leave all my riskier investments to any additional income I brought in.