jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is healthy food too expensive?

1. Trish303 profile image73
    Trish303posted 5 years ago

Is healthy food too expensive?

I hear all the time from friends " I can't afford to eat healthy". Do you feel that healthy food cost to much?

2. Victoria Stephens profile image74
    Victoria Stephensposted 5 years ago

I have to agree with your friends! Healthy food comes at a ridiculas price, even farmers are paid by the governments to not produce too much of it to keep the demand and prices high. 

A small box of fruit such as grapes or strawberries is more expensive than a multipack of crisps.

It costs me a small fortune to feed my family a salad meal for dinner, yet I could make them sausage, chips and beans for a fraction of the price and have remaining sausages left over to go with a meal another day.

Food prices are about to get a 4% hike as well sad

3. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Healthy food is very expensive. Orange juice, milk, vitamins, fruits, etc. As a college student, I cannot afford them. I try to get orange juice and vitamin C because those I can purchase for $2. But otherwise, I'm eating unhealthy food against my wishes. It's either starve and eat healthy, or not be hungry and eat junk.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 5 years ago

1. Organic food has been found not to be as healthy as claimed. If you drop the organic label and buy conventionally grown fruits and vegetables you'll save a lot of money.
    2. Try healthy foods that aren't convenience foods. For example, bananas are very cheap, while frozen diced bananas frozen in "ready for smoothies" bags are very expensive per ounce. Chopped up pre-made salad mixes are pricey compared to a head of lettuce, a head of cabbage, a tomato and a carrot.
    3. Rice and beans are cheap compared to vegetarian mock-meats.

working