Would you live without money if given the opportunity?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. collegedad profile image67
    collegedadposted 11 years ago

Would you live without money if given the opportunity?

I have been researching frugal living and am finding more people who live on a meager existence than I expected. I am frugal, but I don't know if I'd want to go money free. Would your live without money if given the opportunity?

2. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

No - for the simple reason that I have been in the position of having quite literally nothing, living hundreds of miles away from family or friends. When you go through an experience like that and understand what it means, money becomes all the more important in life. I had two bottles of beer, a cigarette and two slices of stale bread to see me through two days. I still shudder to think of it.  Although my religion does teach that the love of money is the root of all evil and I understand why, having some remains an essential part of life. Believe me, being completely broke and essentially alone is not something you want to try...

PS - I wasn't a student at college. I was in my late 30's, had lost my business and girlfriend and was in a cold, empty flat (Credit Crunch 2008)

collegedadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to hear of anyone being in that situation. I spent a summer living on a river here in the Upper Peninsula without the need for money, but that was by choice and I could have just gone to town.

3. Learning in Life profile image88
    Learning in Lifeposted 11 years ago

I would in a heartbeat. I have been watching this show about the Alaskan Frontier and love the lifestyle. I hate what money brings. I would be just fine creating for making for myself what I need. I don't need all the extra gadgets (excepts my laptop and wi-fi) lol

collegedadposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like the challenge of making money, but at the same time I could live without it if I was in a self sufficient community. I love bartering, which for me is much better then buying and selling.

4. Marla Neogra profile image79
    Marla Neograposted 10 years ago

That is a difficult question to answer. I know that I can live without money if the need arises and have lived without money for about 6 months. I have also lived for an extended period of time with a limited income of about 250.00 per week all inclusive for a family of five that also owns a car and had to pay rent. I guess the question should be more specific in the choice behind no money.

Not so long ago one could live without money simply by homesteading. If there were truly opportunities like that I would say yes I would live without money. If it were because I lost everything and had no family, resourses or income in the current economy as it is, no I would prefer to live with money than without. I have seen the reality of living without money in the state of West Virginia (where I reside). Some are homeless living by the river banks, some are people who have property, but nothing else. Living off the land and scraping by any way they can. Some are fortunate to have free gas due to mineral rights and use gas lighting as well as appliances.

I am too much a creature of comfort to wash my clothing in a wash tub on Monday and bake bread on Tuesday etc. unless I was in a situation such as homesteading to earn my own property and I would want all my children and my husband with me for that. When I was younger, around 18-20 years old that would have been the ideal existance as long as I could have a creek, lake, pond or ocean to bath in. (note the picture of myself, much younger that is from camping) but now, much older, my likes and focus have changed.

At this stage in my life I would have to say no, I would not want to live without money. I am sure I can survive even on Social Security (if that is still around) I would do it if I had to not because I wanted to.

5. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 10 years ago

I have no problem living without money.  I was homeless last year due to a broken ankle and lost everything, car, home.  I lived in a tent in Nebraska for 2 months in the fall, October and November.  Living without money is actually easy as long as you are not materialistic. 

In March of this year I was 'poisioned' by my landlord and now have reactive lung disease only having 70% of my lungs that are working and they will never heal.  Having to have breathing treatments around the clock just to breath and I have found a HUD housing for $50/mo as I am unable to work right now.  I get $129 a month from the Army as I am a disabled veteran.  I have 2 sets of clothes, 1 chair, table and bed.  No TV (TV sucks anyway)  I'm happy and content as I have a roof over my head.  If need be there is always dumpster diving at convenience stores to get food that is thrown out and is still perfectly good (pre packaged food).    Having no money is not a choice for me, it's a reality right now.  It really isn't hard but it isn't pleasant either.  However, I have always been a survivor/survivalist and everyone should learn how to live non materialistically.  It's just stuff and you can't take it with you.

I'm 51 and if I can do it anyone can.  I would much rather have a job as I don't feel human right now with my breathing  problems.

6. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

Those who want to have an opportunity to live without money can contact me. I will give you that opportunity, LOL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)