Is it ever right for Banks to take customers' savings?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Mazzy Bolero profile image69
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

Is it ever right for Banks to take customers' savings?

Cyprus is to freeze all accounts over 100K Euros in their second-largest bank and take money to pay off the country's debts - potentially 100% of customers' money. Cypriot banks have many rich Russian customers - but many ordinary Cypriots, plus Brits who have retired there, could lose every penny of their hard-earned savings. Cyprus was forced to agree to raid bank accounts to get a bail-out from the Eurozone. Was Germany right to insist on it?

(Image by gabreleiros under Creative Commons 3.0 License)

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7820492_f260.jpg

2. wqaindia profile image37
    wqaindiaposted 11 years ago

If any country decides of its own to dig the account of bank customers to check evasion of tax then it is a welcome step but if a country (Cyprus) is forced to agree to raid bank accounts to get a bail-out from the Euro zone then it is very bad indication on the part of the rich and wealthy nations who provide credit to developing countries through international funding institutions like IMF. Powerful Individuals, communities and nations dictate their terms and it is not a healthy sign for the world as a whole. While the world community needs to isolate between willful defaulters the world bank and international funding institutions must come out with transparent terms and condition along with details of debts as the public has the right to know their per capita debt burden.

Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Tax evasion and money laundering should be stopped - but stealing honest people's life savings can't be justified on the grounds that some accounts are suspect.  It's a poor excuse. Germany is wielding a big stick and will wield it more.

3. Seafarer Mama profile image79
    Seafarer Mamaposted 11 years ago

It is absolutely not okay for banks to rob their customers! I am sure American banks would follow suit if they knew that this tactic worked.

No, Germany should not insist on this if they do not do it first.  Often, people save to give future generations money for education, so their money does not end with them...and the potential recipients need it. I think that banks are supposed to be serving us, not robbing us!  If it is a tax evasion issue, then those taxes should be recovered without taking money from responsible citizens who need to keep their savings for retirement and to share with their families.

You're right. Why should people work and save all their lives if the bank can just grab every penny?  If the politicians targeted Russian gangsters, fair enough, but they are not doing that.  It's like monopoly money to them.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

No, it is never right and I fear it is setting a precedent that will endanger the global economy.  As outrageous as we think this is, we should not be naive enough to think it can't happen to us.  Who would have ever thought some of the things that are going on now would ever happen?

The EU has bailed out Greece twice, to the tune of hundreds of billions of Euros, without taking a penny from depositors, and most of the "toxic debt" of Cyprus is Greek debt written down by the EU!  People did not expect this.

5. Seeker7 profile image81
    Seeker7posted 11 years ago

No it isn't right at all. The people who have saved their hard earned cash are not responsible for the predicament that Cyprus is in. Once again, the ordinary people will pay the price for government and big business greed! The most important thing is that Germany shouldn't have the right to insist on such blatant theft of peoples' money - its a dangerous and totally unfair stipulation to make.

The irony is that Cyprus turned down the initial proposal to take 9.9% of all accounts over 100K Euros, and instead is taking potentially 100%  from Laiki customers and 30% from Bank of Cyprus. Not exactly a fairer option!

6. kallini2010 profile image80
    kallini2010posted 11 years ago

I don't think it could ever be justified.  I remember that my teacher (only one of so many) said: "you have to earn trust".

I can't say I am particularly distrustful, but I am not surprised when a government robs its citizens - I am from Russia, after all.

We even have a saying - you could never be sure that you'll never go broke or go to jail (meaning for nothing, no crimes committed).

It is the same old expropriation (read "robbery) that was done after the Revolution.

There is no question of fairness here.

Funny enough, I just asked the question about fairness - how soon children learn that life if not fair.  I was "inspired" by the speech that Bill Gates (no hero of mine) gave to the high school students.

Out of eleven lessons, the first one went:

"Life is not fair. Get used to it."

I would assume that people would support my opinion that children are smart, but they tell me to let children be children and not to discuss the fairness of life.

The problem lies in both parties - the one who violates the rights and those who let it happen.

I hope the situation will be resolved with the least pain inflicted.

A wise answer, kallini2010.  "Those who let it happen" is an important phrase.  The rest of the EU and the world are letting it happen, and it will not end here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)