What steps should be taken if you think you might be named in a will?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Billie Kelpin profile image84
    Billie Kelpinposted 11 years ago

What steps should be taken if you think you might be named in a will?

What if a relative has died and no one tells you whether or not you are named in the will?  If you find a court record of a probate case online with a "final date to file claims," an "Inventory Due Date," and an "Eighteen Month Closing Date," what does that all mean and what happens next?  All in all, what are the steps if you're uninformed as to whether or not you are in a relative's will and that person has passed away recently?

2. Express10 profile image86
    Express10posted 11 years ago

If you are named in the will, someone may (or may have) attempt to contact you or you could contact the probate offices in the last cities the person was living in to get more info on what property or money could be made available to you. If you know the person's lawyer or accountant, they may be able to point you in the right direction if you explain the situation and identify yourself. Others may hire someone to do this work for them as sometimes it can get complicated or take a decent chunk of their time. If a lot of time has passed and everything has been collected by heirs and others in the will, you can  double check with them if you know them or check with your and the decedent's state office of unclaimed property to see if there is anything there for you as well.

However, the absolute best bet for your question is going to be getting your own legal counsel. That way you will get state/city/county specific details as the laws vary from state to state and city to city. Each answer that you receive here could point you in the right or wrong direction (mine included) and may be quite different from laws that apply to you. Without knowing laws/particulars of the city that the deceased lived in as well as your relation and involvement in that person's life, the answers you get here could actually be very wrong, providing you with little benefit if it's not applicable to you. Find a lawyer to get the correct answers applicable to your specific situation.

Billie Kelpinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Express10, Thank you!  I had no idea of this could be complicated.  I don't want to ask my relative since it would seem too presumptuous of me and disrespectful. I typed in the deceased relative's name and county and DID see that there is a case #.

3. KawikaChann profile image84
    KawikaChannposted 11 years ago

In most cases you will be notified unless you are in some remote part of the country where this isn't possible. If you are back in town, check with the family lawyer if you're uncomfortable talking with the family.  Peace.  Kawi.

Thanks so much Kawi.  Yes, I am uncomfortable talking with the family (and they're MY family).  But I loved the person who died and don't want to  diminish that relationship by asking.

4. profile image0
    Lizam1posted 11 years ago

One thing you could do would be to let the family solicitor know you're whereabouts.  If you have been named in the will they have the legal responsibility of letting you know if you are a beneficiary.  Sounds like you have all the information you need to identify the case and the persons whom you should contact other than talking to the family.

We DID move, so that's a good suggestion.  Thanks Lizam1 !

5. john000 profile image93
    john000posted 11 years ago

Since the probate has started, you can notify the court (should be included in the court record) that you believe you have a legal claim. The inventory date is the date by which a lawyer has to produce a list of total assets discovered. I believe the 18 month closing date is the longest that probate goes on. I dealt with something like this in the case of my father's estate, and when the probate extended past 18 months, probate had to be refiled (that costs money, and in my case, all entitled parties forked over a percentage).
    You can also get in touch with the attorney handling the probate and I believe they will give this information to you. I am not sure they are required to by law.
    My lawyer provided folks with information about the death and heirs named.
    As an aside, if the assets discovered are not complete, check your state's
    unclaimed property department. It is usually listed in the site map for your home state or the decedent's state government online. If nobody is aware of an asset it will pop up many times on that site. I actually discovered an asset the court and lawyers were not aware of. I then was required by law to notify the probate lawyer and the court. I found out that the time a lawyer puts into discovery is many times determined by their level of professionalism. Duh, some lawyers are not professional. I had to fire one before I found a good and thorough one.
    Also, now thinking about it, I believe that anyone named in a will is entitled by law to a copy of the will. It should be sent to you with a letter of explanation. When I was executor of my dad's estate, I had to make sure that was done.

John, thank you so much!  You've provided very thorough information.  I appreciate it greatly.  I'll call the court tomorrow and see if my name is mentioned. I'm embarrassed to ask the lawyer, but if the court can't tell me, maybe I will.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)