jump to last post 1-19 of 19 discussions (19 posts)

If you won a lottery, how would you spend your millions?

1. sriramapriya profile image65
    sriramapriyaposted 4 years ago

If you won a lottery, how would you spend your millions?

2. ZIa Ahmed khan profile image81
    ZIa Ahmed khanposted 4 years ago

I will give in charity. Develop an endowment for old age people and destitutes.

3. the girls profile image82
    the girlsposted 4 years ago

That is a hard question...Lol! I will write a list when i cross the bridge :-)

4. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 4 years ago

I wouldn't spend the money.

I would invest enough to maintain my lifestyle.

I would support the growth of my own creative work and joy.

I would use the rest charitably to bring healing and joy to the world.

It is sad, but over 50% of big charity winners spend their money and end up bankrupt - worse off than when they started. I think it is better to see the lottery as addictive gambling and a tax more on the poor than the rich (a regressive tax), and steer clear.

5. Wonder wool profile image82
    Wonder woolposted 4 years ago

All I want is a peaceful life... and so much money wouldn't give me peace... so I would just give away my money and go back to my normal life...

If I really have to spend it I would use it in furthering my education.

6. gabgirl12 profile image78
    gabgirl12posted 4 years ago

Very very quietly and responsibly. I wouldn't look to attract much attention. You wouldn't even know I was a millionaire because I don't have very lavish spending habits. I would definitely keep those habits. Its unfortunate because sometimes the lottery seems to afford an opportunity at doing things the way you want. But you know what they say, with great power (or even a lot of money) comes great responsibility.

7. CroftRoan profile image82
    CroftRoanposted 4 years ago

I'd  go back to school to become a librarian, buy myself a nice little house, a new car, and an Italian Greyhound and Corgi. Then save the rest for a rainy day.

8. joyce31202 profile image80
    joyce31202posted 4 years ago

I would set aside some of this money. $200,000.00 (two hundred thousand). That would be in an untouched fund. It's nice to save regardless. I would spend it by going on a shopping spree. The shopping spree would last over a period of time. Can't buy everything at once you know. Things I would by would be electronics, I love them. I would give to charity (Salvation Army) being one. I would give to the church. I would clear debt! Before it is all gone, accept for the fund money, of course, I would have to give some to my siblings. Maybe about 5%. I would also buy a house to live in free and clear. I would have enough to do this considering its millions as opposed to just 1 million.

9. german83 profile image65
    german83posted 4 years ago

I would spend it on knowing the wjole world with my girl... And if it is totally over after I do that, then I would go back to my normal life... but, who can take away from us all that experience?

10. V Kumar profile image77
    V Kumarposted 4 years ago

I will begin a campaigne against Google's monopoly on search engine algorhythms and its non-transparent, arbitrary misuse of its monopoly powers.

11. mackyi profile image65
    mackyiposted 4 years ago

Just look at my picture, I am still thinking! Lol. There is so much that I honestly would like to do for others.

12. caseymel profile image93
    caseymelposted 4 years ago

I would buy my parents a new house and save for my kids college fund!

13. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I'd likely be the most boring "lottery spender" on the planet. I would pay a tax professional first to be sure everything was paid and up to date in the tax area. Then I would buy our family some of the best health insurance available. I would do a few tweaks to my house, maybe add another bathroom but that is about all.  I would give a bit to my children and their families as well.

Oh, and I would set up big college funds for my grandchildren.

14. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Thank you for asking sriramapriya. Thank you HP for placing this question as a prompt. I ask now for forgiveness if wordy. In the process of writing a hub this question offers considerations in that regard. That said, sharing a tad is:

I am diagnosed with three disabilities - Bipolar Disorder, Diabetes, and Osteoarthritis, of which each are debilitating represented as incapacity to do such and such at various times

The significant other of this Life I now live also has a debilitating diagnosis of two or more - Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Depression and more

Family members with better than, same as, and not so good.

And, friends of consideration

Hopes & dreams or as dreams of Hope or Hope for Dreams.

I now have millions - plural is emphasized & the question is "how" would I spend that. Spend means as a noun, Spend "An amount of money paid for a particular purpose or over a particular period of time." with the allusion of the second definition being "Pay out (money) in buying or hiring goods or services."

The problem is "How" do you as in me spend my millions.
    The problem has been defined, the challenge has been accepted with dedication of acceptance.

Next, is the solution: (Rough Draft)

Dispense "X" $'s for immediate care of 1st 3 levels of Maslow Hierarchy of needs for a Friend & me = 2 yrs from escrow. 

Next, Discover with TLC a group of who's to be trustees of three trusts. Defining the who's would be a time of fun, fun, fun . . .one smile at a time. Many considerations would entail both perceptions - feelings and emotions & perspectives of knowledge & wisdom as both individuals & of entities.

One group(s) for a dream - organization with a long life expectancy, individuals & maybe friends and relatives, though all are friends within friendly relationships.

One for the significant other - more her than me, (Her & me are as one in the decision making process. In the case of a tie the third undisclosed partner has only to . . . ) an organization & individuals of trust and etc than of likeability with a lean toward her needs met first & of order with focus on self actualization.

One for me with pretty much the same conditions of above as with her. Not of  difference, just different.

The %ages have been decided. Seeking worth of tomorrow as unpredictable, although has probable with possible.

Achieve that over a reasonable time period of expectation. Meetings in a vacation setting. Having fun, fun, fun . . . one smile at a time . . .

15. CreatePerfection profile image77
    CreatePerfectionposted 4 years ago

I would first pay off everything I owe, then I would set up a foundation to help homeless teens.  I heard a news item on tv last night that said 1 in 5 children go to bed hungry each night in America.  I cannot imagine a country where some have so much but care so little about their fellow humans, but that's the country we have created.
    If we do not take care of the children in this country we will regret it much in the coming years because violence will increase exponentially as those homeless and hungry fight for survival.
    The average person, I believe, attempts to do the right thing first, but if you are starving and your children are starving, eventually you will do what you need to do to survive.  This includes stealing and killing those who stand in your way.
    So, that's what I would do with the money.  I would make every attempt, myself, to help those who need it most.

16. profile image0
    Copper Manposted 4 years ago

Frivolously, no doubt. A sort of wild spread-the-wealth adventure. Perhaps I would start by purchasing several million more lottery tickets.

17. AMFredenburg profile image78
    AMFredenburgposted 4 years ago

I'd make sure my family and friends were secure, I'd start a college fund for my nieces and nephews, I'd set money aside for myself, I'd build myself a small house, then I'd find a couple favorite causes to put both my time and money into and focus on those causes.

18. Mitch Alan profile image82
    Mitch Alanposted 4 years ago

I would pay off any debt for our family and parents. Do a little traveling for the "bucket list". Put aside money for a rainy day and start a non-profit fundraising organization to raise money for childhood cancer research and devote a "full-time job" to using creative and informative ways to raise awareness and funds.

19. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Buy two or three small homes across the country, a boat for vacations, PhD in psychology, most of it in savings, new wardrobe for the hubby and baby and me, cats declawed, new cars (not high priced but reliable), new section of the garden, take a month long cruise to celebrate, and put a good amount in the stock market.

working