If you were to suddenly get a sum of $10M, would you take it or leave it?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. earnforlife profile image60
    earnforlifeposted 5 years ago

If you were to suddenly get a sum of $10M, would you take it or leave it?

Some people will be quick to say that they would easily accept a large sum of money without giving it a second thought. I am not sure that I would accept it, mainly because of fear of change. What would I do with all that money after living a humble peaceful life with my wife and children over the years. Of course, I would love to retire and not have to work ever again, but I am very much aware that sudden wealth might bring its fare share of problems. How would this change my life, my wife, my kids and everyone else around me? Will I be the same or will the money change me?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

I'm an old guy with most of his life behind him but I'd still take the money.  Why?  I know I could use such a large amount to do many things.  So, after  'disappearing' for a few weeks so I could give the matter some serious thought, I'm sure I could find a lot of enjoyment in surprising people with an anonymous gift here an there to help people through their tougher times.

For example, could you imagine the delight on some poor householder, say a single Mum with three kids who is going to be evicted from her home because she can't pay the mortgage repayments.   And then she gets a letter from the bank to tell her an anonymous donor has paid out the whole debt for her!

Wow!   Wouldn't you like to be in a postion to do that?   And still have heaps of money to travel on holidays, et cetera.   

One thing I would do though, is endeavour to remain anonymous and not let anyone know of my huge windfall.   Envy could lose one friends.  Jealousy could break up families.   That said, I'd still take the money.

earnforlifeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You have a selfless heart Tusitala, and your answer makes perfect sense. Maybe accepting the money and using it help others would be better than not accepting it at all.

3. Borsia profile image45
    Borsiaposted 5 years ago

I would take it in a heartbeat. Other than some changes in my lifestyle I doubt that it would cause me any problems.
    10M sounds like a lot of money and indeed it is bit not so much to make me run wild.
    Mostly I would buy myself a nice yacht and spend what time I have left exploring the places in the world that interest me.

LOL! I love your spirit Borsia. Its so interesting to hear all the different things that ppl would do with a large sum of money. I guess we all have 1 life to live. Maybe we should just make the best of it.

4. PoeticPhilosophy profile image81
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 5 years ago

I would find out if there were any catches, if I were able to just freely take 10M I'd take it in a heart-beat! You know honestly you would to, anyone would. Free 10M yeah! Haha, But with that I would still continue to write cause it truly is my passion atm.

5. connorj profile image80
    connorjposted 5 years ago

i would definitely accept this sum. Would it not be a significant act of selfishness to avoid such an opportunity to help others? What assistance one could generate for self, loved ones, friends and needing strangers,,,
    I believe the significant question to contemplate is if you received this sum, what percentage would you donate to charitable causes. This makes me associate with what I recently read about the March of Dimes Foundation, The article concluded that the March of Dimes was most aptly named because only 10 percent (i.e. a dime) of what they receive goes to any of their charitable causes... Apparently 90 percent goes to their significantly high salaries, expenses and other costs of existing...

6. bBerean profile image61
    bBereanposted 5 years ago

I would accept the money, but consider it an ominous responsibility.  I would need no more from it than to pay myself the modest salary I currently get, and to pay off my mortgage, in order to allow me the freedom to spend my time administering the funds for the greatest positive effect.  As a businessman, this would partially involve setting up self sufficient organizations to perpetuate the money rather than just spend it, and thereby help more people.  It is a challenge I would welcome and take very seriously.

7. cat on a soapbox profile image95
    cat on a soapboxposted 5 years ago

As long as the money doesn't come in a fraudulent way, I would accept it. It would take the burden off of health care expenses and allow necessary upgrades to our home. I prefer to live small, but would welcome a summer cottage on a lake, some family travel, and the ability to help others as well as leave a nest egg for our daughter. I enjoy working part-time and staying active, so I doubt that I'd fully retire.

Thanks for sharing cat. I do prefer to live a comfortable, humble life as well. The sum would surely benefit the family for generations...maybe.

8. lburmaster profile image81
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

The fear of change? Change is usually the last thing we consider. Yes, it would change you. Only few are changed by large amounts of money. But the fact that you worry about it, means you have a better chance of not being affected. Most likely the fear of the catch. If you suddenly have this money, what do you have to pay for it? Never find love again, your personality, your family, your home, your sense of self, etc.

9. epbooks profile image82
    epbooksposted 5 years ago

I'd take it and put it to good use. I'd love to open a no-kill animal shelter.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)