jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

What do you think about criminal back-ground checks for those being hired as emp

1. LAURENS WRIGHT profile image53
    LAURENS WRIGHTposted 3 years ago

What do you think about criminal back-ground checks for those being hired as employees by a company?

BMW, the car manufacturing firm in South Carolina, was questioned about using criminal back-ground checks for the potential employees.  The company was told that this type of information is "racial" profiling and this type of investigation should not be used for African-Americans, but could be used to screen other potential employees.

2. deecoleworld profile image82
    deecoleworldposted 3 years ago

Its important, especially depending on what type of job it is. Would you hire a convicted child pedophile to work in a school? What about a convicted thief to work in a retail store or bank? I am not sure if it is racial profiling, I have to know all the details of the story. Even so, it does more good than harm. You shouldn't worry unless you have something to hide that you are not proud of.

1. raymondphilippe profile image82
      raymondphilippeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I like this one "What about a convicted thief to work in a .... bank?"

2. deecoleworld profile image82
      deecoleworldposted 3 years agoin reply to this

lol thanks raymondphilippe smile

3. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

I view it as it is not the what of question in this case it is the how and/or how much of who with when and where and then why?

I question it, however I realize its importance with the integrity of a place of business within community however large that community is. To say a company can or cannot conduct the check - a procedure, does not indicate a hiring practice is afoul.

To say the procedure is at fault by administering equally simply in my humble view is not logical. The hiring trend may be of question with causes of reason, yet that is something entirely different than any background check as a procedure or policy - credit check, criminal check, driver's license check (especially for operators of a vehicle), and etc.

4. raymondphilippe profile image82
    raymondphilippeposted 3 years ago

This is a difficult one.

From an employers point of view,  I can image people thinking "better safe than sorry".
    From the potential employee's point of view,  I think doing a "criminal back-ground check" behind someone's back is rather rude. And may invade someone's privacy.
    From society's point of view,  the question do we believe "once a crook always a crook" to be true. If so,  we are giving someone who has once been convicted once a life long sentence to unemployment.

5. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 3 years ago

I agree with Dee. I think they're important because you can keep some people out of positions in which they may be tempted to become a repeat offender. That's not to say they will, but a company has to protect itself. I can't see how it's racial profiling. It doesn't matter what race a person is, if the rule applies to ALL potential employees, it's completely fair.

working