jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Where can I find scholarships or grants for college for my child?

1. TripleAMom profile image87
    TripleAMomposted 2 years ago

Where can I find scholarships or grants for college for my child?

My son is starting college in the fall and we are limited in funds. He has a few scholarships and financial aid, and we do not want to take out loans. Any suggestions for finding financial assistance for college?

2. LongTimeMother profile image94
    LongTimeMotherposted 2 years ago

I remembered reading a brilliant hub about a young girl who won 18 scholarships and went looking for it. Here it is ....

http://mary615.hubpages.com/hub/How-My- … -Committee

If you can't find info about available scholarships, perhaps you could email Mary.

Good luck.

TripleAMomposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I actually read this hub last night and it gave me a few ideas.  I can use all the help I can get right now.

2. LongTimeMother profile image94
      LongTimeMotherposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Mary is lovely. You should email her directly and ask for the list of 18 scholarships ... but use a slightly different letter if you apply for them, of course. smile

3. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

Is your son left-handed?  I JUST heard last week of a college on the East Coast that gives scholarships to left-handed students!!!!   Starting at a Community College or a less expensive state college for GENERALS can help.  Be sure the credits are transferrable.  There used to be some scholarships for various ethnicities - if a student has even 1/4 of some ancestry.  I think I've heard of scholarships for people of Polish ancestry or Native American heritage.  If a student is first generation (neither parent has a college degree), has special needs or the family is of lower income, there is help through the Trio Student Support Services Program at some colleges.  This service provides scholarships for students in the program as they progress.  If your son is interested in a certain profession, joining an organization connected with that profession will sometimes lead to scholarships. The Quota Club awarded me tuition and books one year because I was in deaf education and that was an interest of theirs.  Sometimes fields of studies that have few students will award scholarships.  There are PROFESSIONAL fraternities on campus like Sigma Alpha Eta through which I won some kind of scholarship "back in the day".  Of course, there's Starbucks!  (I think there are scholarships to their workers. Some other companies, I think, offer scholarships to part time workers as well.) The whole idea is to be creative at this point smile

TripleAMomposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Billie, those are great ideas. Thanks.

working