jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

When you hear the word "rich" do you instantly think of money?

1. SimilarSam profile image76
    SimilarSamposted 2 years ago

When you hear the word "rich" do you instantly think of money?

I'm a strong believer that being rich in life is not related to money in anyway, you can be rich in time (have a life that gives you great freedom), rich in relationships (have amazingly strong relationships with those around you) and many other forms of "rich".

I ask because every time I bring up the idea of being rich people always jump to how I'm going to make money to be rich when that isn't even the same train of thought.

So do you find that the word rich is unanimous with money?

2. Alexis Cogwell profile image85
    Alexis Cogwellposted 2 years ago

I find that many people believe that the two words mean the same thing. I have also had this problem with the word bible being only assiciated with The Holy Bible. "Rich" to me means that you eat well, have housing sufficient to your needs, and many family and friends to enjoy life with.

3. mridulrai profile image78
    mridulraiposted 2 years ago

Yes. There are two separate words for people who are rich in time and relationships depending on their age. Wise. Or old.

4. profile image0
    The J Phronesisposted 2 years ago

Yes, because that's its primary use in the English language. To infer it on something else, you'll have to prefix it to that word., for instance you could say: Elias has rich relationships. But if you simply say: Elias is rich, you will be referring to my financial status. That's how to use the word properly.

5. Kylyssa profile image94
    Kylyssaposted 2 years ago

I associate rich with multiple things, mostly with love, and I did so before I met my beloved, Richard, who goes by Rich. I am rich with the love of family and friends. I am rich with the freely available knowledge and beauty I have access to online. I am rich with friends who understand me. I am rich with hope for the future. So, no, rich isn't synonymous with money in my life.

People confuse success with money, too, for some reason. People ask me if I think I'll ever be a successful writer but, in my own opinion, I already am one. My words have helped some people figure out how to be kind in ways they feel suit them. Some of them have told me my words caused them to cross the threshold between inaction and action. Their kind actions were what I was striving for with my words. Every time my words increase someone's confidence in giving of themselves, my writing is a success.

6. Kara33 profile image61
    Kara33posted 2 years ago

"Some people are so poor, all they have is money".

working